VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Read a lot of threads about glow plug and the 109 relay. But my 1.9 2001 t4 takes about 7 tries to start up with a big cloud of grey smoke out the back, when facing up hill, but when facing down it will start majority first time with a little bit of smoke. Is this a glow plug, relay problem? Or something else? Its been happening for a while now just want to get it sorted. Can anyone help?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Have you got a leak in the fuel system that is allowing air in, this might show up more when facing up-hill. I had a perished fuel pipe on an LDV I had years ago and it was fractured in such a way that it would let air into the fuel line when the van was stood stationary for a while. Took me ages to work out what the problem was, cured it in seconds with a new piece of pipe.

The difference is the direction you are facing so seems to me that it'd not likely to be glow plugs or relay.

If it is good luck changing the glow plugs, it took me 4.5 hours!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Sounds like perished injector leak off pipes to me! Causes fuel to drain back to the tank, 109 relay is tdi engine specific T:T:
hi there thread hijack time lol is this the material pipe that you have between the injectors? if so youve just fixed my van s im suffering issues myself a mate came round today he bled the system and she runs again i looked at my pipes and the look to be abit knackered i did say to my mate he reckons all that will happen is it could leak abit im going to change them in the morning
:D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts