VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone might find this story useful : A garage in our van's past life broke a glowplug so when I had to change it I got a chap in to extract it - unfortunately the tip was jammed somehow and it came out in the cylinder!

After trying to blow it out the inlet I thought to try lifting it with a magnet through the injector hole - slim chance of doing this I thought as the tip is not very metallic.

I took a magnet from a broken computer hard disc-drive - these are quite strong - and broke off a small chip (don't try filing or sawing as this heats the magnet and reduces it's power). I araldited this to the end of a coathanger wire. Ensure the magnet is bonded well as you don't want it sticking to the cylinder bore and staying there! I used a little electrical tape to make the connection of the wire to the magnet smooth so it won't catch as it is pulled out of the injector hole.

I dropped the cylinder to the bottom of it's stroke and introduced the magnet through the injector hole - a slight bend on the wire is needed to feel the front part of the cylinder.

After trying this for a while I found the tip would drop off as it tried to get through the injector hole so I found that if I blew compressed air through the glowplug hole (block the inlet manifold/port if open) just as the tip was about to come through the hole I was able to get it right out. A steady hand is needed and smooth movement of the wire as you take it out.

Now I don't know if it was a one-in-a-million chance or if it can be done again and I'm not putting the tip back in to find out! It saved me a head dismantling!

I put this down so if anyone has the same problem they can try this if they like. A:

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
I admire you skill and patience you must enter the Kerplunk world championships or re train as a brain surgeon!!

It's everyone's worst nightmare

1 - 4 of 4 Posts