VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I am going to start my units soon and was wandering if I should stick the batten to the ply floor or glue it? I'm a little nervous screwing into stuff...
Cheers

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Hi all

I am going to start my units soon and was wandering if I should stick the batten to the ply floor or glue it? I'm a little nervous screwing into stuff...
Cheers
Think your nervousness may have got the better of you :) I would stick it with glue!!

Joking aside I'm for as few holes in the van floor as possible but I have got 3 or 4 fixing points that I drilled all the way through the floor. I think it is important the units are secure, image them coming at you from behind even in a low speed impact.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Stick the ply down with silicone then you can screw the batons to the ply use 35mm screws if you are using 2/1battons . Use clear silicone has it bonds better and with silicone you can always remove it if you have to look at my profile at the pics they mite help you

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Units should be securely screw or bolted through the floor, otherwise in a crash they could come loose and injure any passengers

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'm not sure screws would do anything in an accident. Imagine giving the units a good kick from the side, doubt they would stay together. I'm sure in anything other than a low speed accident they would come to pieces and fly forwards anyway.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
The guys I know with then either bolt or strap them to the floor.

But just silicon your units to the floor if you're happy with that, what's the chances of having an accident:*

Thehosepipe
Re: Glue or screw?
I'm not sure screws would do anything in an accident. Imagine giving the units a good kick from the side, doubt they would stay together. I'm sure in anything other than a low speed accident they would come to pieces and fly forwards anyway.
Only if you don't make your units properly.

·
Registered
81 Posts
That's it I'm fitting a stock car style mesh cage in mine ! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts