VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am leaving the UK this summer and emigrating to OZ for a few years, I would not want to sell my T4 as I've put so much effort and love into it and I'd like to keep it.

I can choose between putting in long-term storage (one day I might import it to OZ if the cost is reasonable) but one dear friend of mine told me he would like to keep it/rent it from me for a year or more.

Has anyone done something similar before?

He can sort his own insurance and stuff but is there any way we can do this on a contractual basis in case something bad happens to my van (gets stolen or accident)?

I totally trust this guy but I am concerned about the extreme case scenarios.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

(Sennen Cove in beautiful Cornwall in the pic)

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Could you sell it to him at a price you'll agree to buy it back for? That way he'll have a lot invested in it, take care of it like his own, and for the time you're away all the paperwork etc will be in his name for solving any potential problems...

I guess you could always sign some document with a solicitor involved to set the price for the buyback and have some peace of mind?

Just a thought...

·
Registered
467 Posts
Could you sell it to him at a price you'll agree to buy it back for? That way he'll have a lot invested in it, take care of it like his own, and for the time you're away all the paperwork etc will be in his name for solving any potential problems...

I guess you could always sign some document with a solicitor involved to set the price for the buyback and have some peace of mind?

Just a thought...
Agreed - this is the way to go or just store it.

·
Registered
820 Posts
cost of shipping it out there might not be a great deal more than buying a decent vehicle out there. Vans ain't cheap out there, nothing is cheap out there really.

·
Registered
11,711 Posts
if you are not going to get it done with a solicitor ETC then I would look at sorting everything out yourself. do not relay on the mate to do it.

what happens if he forgets to Sorn it? what happens if he forgets to insure it? what happens........

you as the owner will get some letters. but where will they get sent to?

OK the UK has a strange set up where there is only one document for the registration of a vehicle and this is not actually proff of ownership.

many EU countries have two documents one as ownership and the other for the user. EG germany the Owner one might be held by the finance organisation the provided the money to buy it.

so in this case you could have the Van registered in his name but have a document drawn up stating that you are the legal owner of the van?

I would also look at just how much storage would be. I would also look at how much the insurance would be while stored.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
What if it doesnt work out in oz?
sell to mate with buy back clause if you come back early.T:

OLD GUYS RULEI:

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
If it sounds like trouble, looks like trouble & smells like trouble then it probably is trouble!

Sell the vehicle to him, then he is responsible to service, insure & maintain it. You could agree to buy it back, price depending on condition etc

Cost you about £1500 to ship it to Oz i believe.

The van will never be as you leave it, accidents happen... rust takes hold etc etc

Have a great time in Oz :cool:

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,271 Posts
Sell it to him with a guaranted buy-back value after a time period that suits you and him.
Other options are too complicated IMO

·
Registered
209 Posts
I enquired before about shipping think it takes 60 days and costs £1200 if u take van and save money on a few hotels and buying a motor over there could be really enjoyable to have it there with you! Check out how u get it legal over there i didnt look into it that far!! Bet it would be a wicked talking point cruising up to the beech in that!!

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
I have looked into this quite a lot..how much is it worth to you? in cost and love? Reason being is ship it. OK container or RORO ferry,, is say £1500, then there is import duty and the regs you have to deal with, but you can import it on a temporary scheme and bypass alot of this, and if you stay you can permanently import it. The way I see it is this, you can live in it, and to buy one there would cost alot more than it would to send yours already.. either way, enjoy the land down under :ILU: :cool:

If you want more info on importing it, gimme a shout, I can point you in the right direction of people who do this regularly T:

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Drive there in her!:ILU:
Save money on the flight & shipping cost, take your time and make a holiday of the journey.
Just plan it well and get your paperwork sorted first.T:

·
Registered
368 Posts
I agree keep it and ship it across. If you have spent so much time, effort and money and like me love your van then I couldn't be faced selling it. I'm facing a similar issue next year when I'm travelling to Oz for 8 months. Looking at other options; buying another van, renting one or going around in motels seem to all expensive.

I may end up shipping it across, I think in the long run i think it would be a cheaper alternative. Good luck and enjoy the sun

1 - 16 of 16 Posts