VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Just got back from the Motorhome and Caravan show at the NEC. It was better than I thought and the were loads of T5's there with lots of different approaches being taken. I don't think there was a single one below £35k for a base model tho.

Anyway, managed to come out with a couple of good ideas for our conversion that I just wondered if anyone on here had done on a DIY basis?

1) we have a twin slider and will have units down the drivers side. I had thought of just leaving the backs of the cupboards open so that I can access the rear of them (gas bottle, water etc) when I open the sliding door. However I saw one at the show that had finished the back of the units off with a panel and had put a table rail on there for an outside table (using the same table as inside). Good as you can pass through food straight from the cooking area. I thought that was a good idea. They had also installed a shower point there but I am not interested in that.

2) I have never had the opportunity to have a good look round a California, there was a T5 at the show (not a California I might add) that had the tailgate storage unit from a California on it. I didn't know this existed but love the idea of storing a couple of chairs in the base of the tailgate. I looked at the price list and I think it was a very expensive add on (about £1200). Just wondered if anyone had done this another way rather than buying original VW equipment. I am sure it could be done with ply and carpet to look pretty good too.

Anyway, good day had by all!

·
Registered
464 Posts
We are off on Sunday now thanks to you :) Our twin slider LWB will have units full length behind the front seats and a U shaped seating / sleeping area . We want to be able to use both doors and will have a Reimo awning rail on each side so the awning or sun shelter can go either side depending on location

Cheers

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Hi all

Just got back from the Motorhome and Caravan show at the NEC. It was better than I thought and the were loads of T5's there with lots of different approaches being taken. I don't think there was a single one below £35k for a base model tho.

Anyway, managed to come out with a couple of good ideas for our conversion that I just wondered if anyone on here had done on a DIY basis?

1) we have a twin slider and will have units down the drivers side. I had thought of just leaving the backs of the cupboards open so that I can access the rear of them (gas bottle, water etc) when I open the sliding door. However I saw one at the show that had finished the back of the units off with a panel and had put a table rail on there for an outside table (using the same table as inside). Good as you can pass through food straight from the cooking area. I thought that was a good idea. They had also installed a shower point there but I am not interested in that.

2) I have never had the opportunity to have a good look round a California, there was a T5 at the show (not a California I might add) that had the tailgate storage unit from a California on it. I didn't know this existed but love the idea of storing a couple of chairs in the base of the tailgate. I looked at the price list and I think it was a very expensive add on (about £1200). Just wondered if anyone had done this another way rather than buying original VW equipment. I am sure it could be done with ply and carpet to look pretty good too.

Anyway, good day had by all!
There's a tailgate panel from a Cali complete with chairs on eBay at the mo. £499

·
Registered
406 Posts
Hi all

It is a good idea! Here's mine:

Twin slider with cupboards down one side, table storage and access to gas bottle. Great for cooking in the van with the sliding door open T:

Decided to not leave the cupboards open at the back to hold some rigidity; there's fewer places to fix the units to the van in a twin slider and I was keen for it not to flex, creak or rattle too much.

Conventional looking cupboards from the other side:

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
U need to have a look at the california its amazing all the neat space saving tricks and quality of stuff is emence,

As for the chairs in tailgate its a great idea I was hoping to try make my own over winter such a great space saving trick

If any1 does it first, pop up some pics

·
Registered
317 Posts
Someone on here has done the chairs in the tailgate, I read it some time ago, sorry I cant find it but if you get time,troll through the posts and i'm sure you'll find it, I do believe that it made his tailgate heavier and I think he had to alter something to counter this, hope this helps :)

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
A company we saw at busfest "a touch of class" had a barn door T5 with chair holders as the lower panals... im sure it was just made out of ply then capeted and screwed to the lower panels...
Looked a good mod, but the downside is you'll be limited to what chairs you can have....
Depending on where your seat/bed finishes at the back and what the gap between it and the doors is, you could make a box say using 6 or 9mm ply and make it guess 5" deep???? then slid the seats in.

They also had 2 holes where you slid out umbrella's from into the units, which i thought was a good idea too.

I dont have units so the umbrella idea is out & my bed board & foam was made to go round the rear pillar and but up against the doors, so our chairs live under the bed....

·
Registered
354 Posts
We're off on Sunday too. Looking forward to it! T: (and I never thought I'd say that about going to a Caravan show...H:)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Saw some great stuff, got plenty of idea's and now the missuis wants a van asap:ILU: however, 'it has to have a pop top, I'm not scrambling round in a van with no pop top', bugger wasn't counting on that expense straight away:( still at least she's now looking seriously at vansA:

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
The cali seats in the tailgate is a neat idea....but once someone has broken / stolen your stupidly expensive seats, you now have a tailgate panel that is 6 inches thicker than a standard tailgate panel.....so the bed / seat has to be 6 inches further into the van.
At the end of the day your storage capacity is finite, and everything has to be fitted in somewhere.
In a genuine california its a great idea - but i could think of better things to spend the money on.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts