VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.
I am a new poster to the site but have two posts going already (in about 15 minutes). I am test-driving my first vw tomorrow and would welcome this Forum's opinions on the price set for the van.

It is a 2001 T4 2.5TDi LWB with factory-fitted high-top and double doors that reach up the full length.
A very good home conversion has been carried out which includes most of the normal campervan requirements. It does not have a fridge, rear seat belts, cycle rack, awning or any extras. Electrics are run off a leisure battery (1200w inverter), i.e. no zig unit for mains hook up.
Bodywork appears sound (haven't seen it "in the flesh" yet) and has had afull re-spray (vw dark blue - the original colour).
62k miles and full service history/MOT certificates.
Asking price is £11,500.

Am I correct in thinking this is on the high side?
What might be a fairer price?

THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP.

·
Registered
445 Posts
It really is hard to give a fair price as people's opinions vary sooo much ;)

Generally I would say have a look around for similar spec vehicles and compare prices. Take into consideration that most vans require some work, so factor in any work that is required and pay what you are comfortable withT:

People will always tell you you have paid too much as there seems to be an illusive supply of low mileage vans in fantastic condition for around 4k...well I've never found them yet:*. Still looking thoughLOL:

·
Registered
409 Posts
Good advice from Bodigidi.... but perhaps a little expensive. How long has it been converted ? If a long time it may explain the low mileage and for that money it would be more fun to buy a standard van and do your own conversion the way you want it

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I'll start my bargaining at around £9,500 & see where I end up - probably at home without the vehicle!!
However if it measures up well when I have seen/driven it I imagine I will pay more than I intend - if you know waht I mean.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
A12 year old van and your willing to pay 9.5k I hope its a van in top condition! :cool:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bought the van this afternoon for £10,500. It is in fantastically good nick, a lovely conversion and drives superbly.
Very happy. Some will say I paid over the odds but I it was better than I had hoped so handed over the dosh.
Thanks for everyone's help.

·
Premium Member
2,572 Posts
The best way to accurately price homebrew vans like this is to take the core value of the basic panel van, taking into account it's mileage, condition etc then add a premium for the extras of around £1500 - £2000.

I would have valued this van at around £6k + £1.5k for the extras ~ so about £7.5k -£8k or thereabouts.

Usual caveats apply ~ this is the unblinkered real world value; scarcity doesn't equate to more value regardless of the forum hype; however people are free to stitch themselves up :ILU:

·
Registered
445 Posts
Different people have different budgets.

If you're not up for converting a van yourself, it can be very expensive to give the work to someone else.

If you have the money and find the right van for you, at a price you are comfortable with, happy daysA:

Could you find another one already converted in the same condition and spec for a much cheaper price...:*

Enjoy your van...you wont care what you paid in a years time when you have loads of memories to look back onT:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts