VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Get someone else to cook it?. LOL: Only joking, there should be lots of tips online and on the TV.

I have cooked every year, but this year it's just me on my own for Christmas as I am single this year.
My mum has just left her partner due to violence :(, so we are both going to have our Christmas dinner somewhere,
at £65 each it's not a cheap alternative though. :eek:

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
3.5kg pork rolled shoulder roast is already cooking in the oven, slathered in garlic, rosemary & thyme. A proper "slow" roast it'll be ready by 9am tomorrow. A smallish crown of turkey will go in after that. A couple of hours (and a bit) later the roast veggies'll go in. It'll all come together about 2pm.

Planning & timing is the key, especially when there'll be 8 around the table, and doing it this way means there's no panic in the kitchenon xmas morning.

Christmas pud is best served on Boxing day.

On Xmas day there'll be two or 3 different dessert wines, madeira, marsala, chocolate red accompanied by small cold sweet "treats"

At some time in the next couple of days I look forward to attempting to duplicate the "Hairy Bikers" turkey curry.

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
Anyone else tackling roast Jerusalem Artichokes for your Saturnalia Dinner ? I: Cheers, Tony.

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
If your doing small sausages in bacon, place a cake cooling tray over them before attempting to drain off all the water they inject into everything, Let the sacrificial beast or fowl rest for 30 minutes before trying to carve. Cheers, Tony. Best wishes and best of luck.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Little crosses on the bottom of the sprouts T:

Dont overcook the sprouts either, they taste much better when just cooked, also, fry up some shredded bacon (fattier the better) then chuck the sprouts in with them for the last 5 minutes - bacon and sprouts bloomin lubberly.

merry christmas, must be exciting with the little one with you this time Matt T:T:T:

·
Registered
494 Posts
turkey cooked using a meat thermometer is the best way to ensure its not over cooked nothing worse than over cooked turkey for the next three weeks because the misses let you go out to do the shopping and you brought home a 28lb turkey cos you had two extra people for xmas.. merry christmas hope the indjestions gone by new year

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
Yet another don't, don't overboil your spuds before roasting them, turn them regularly.

The Vee Dub Kitchen, we could have a cracking series out of this. . . . . . .

OOOPS some pratt already cooks out of the back of one. Cheers, Tony.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Little crosses on the bottom of the sprouts T:

Dont overcook the sprouts either, they taste much better when just cooked, also, fry up some shredded bacon (fattier the better) then chuck the sprouts in with them for the last 5 minutes - bacon and sprouts bloomin lubberly.

merry christmas, must be exciting with the little one with you this time Matt T:T:T:

Niiiice.

Although we're doing the sprouts with Chorizo this year, rather than bacon. The Chorizo will be placed in hot melted butter for some time before adding the sprouts so that the flavour of the sausage spreads through the butter.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Wrap your parsnips in italian pancetta bacon before roasting them.

Keep things simple. Prep as much as you can the night before, then you only have to heat things up, not spend all day in there peeling stuff. Put your own little novelties into the crackers as there's usually rubbish in them. Don't drink and cook. Don't use too much fat or butter. It may make things taste yummy, but its a sure recipe for terrible heartburn later.

If you've bought a xmas pud, zap it for a minute or two to heat it up. No need to steam it for 2 hours like it says on the label.

Don't forget the accompaniments. - Apple sauce, cranberry sauce [add a bit of port to it] etc.

Fancy stuffing is okay - but nothing special, and if you've loads of different veg and meat, its likely no one will eat it anyway. Just stick to sage and onion.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
If you've bought a xmas pud, zap it for a minute or two to heat it up. No need to steam it for 2 hours like it says on the label.
I mean in a microwave of course.

[strangely, I could edit my post on the last thread I replied on - but not on this one. Anyone know why?]

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
It's been a little more difficult to get recently for some reason but haggis makes a great accompaniment to chicken or turkey (instead of stuffing) and is very easy to prepare.

Another one for the microwave without detriment.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
If you'v got any celery in the fridge, put 4 or 5 sticks in the bottom of the roasting tin and let your turkey/goose/capon/swan sit on these while cooking. It lifts the bird out of the water/grease. You could eat them but i just dump them after. Merry christmas. *<:)>

1 - 20 of 27 Posts