VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says
Mixed emotions, my T5 has been sold. Sad.
New to me Crafter, collecting on Thursday. Happy.
Just wanted to say a big thank you to all forum members who have helped me turn my ex painter and decorator panel van into an off road style swamper camper. I really don’t think I could have done it without you lot. Massive wealth of information and inspiration on this forum.
Had some great banter with Stuart and the disbanded No Low Transporters. Be so good to meet you one day soon, Stu.
And so the journey starts all over again with the big Crafter. Pics coming soon.
Cheers all

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nice mate, be interested to see the path you head down

is it a 4motion? Will you be kitting it out with AT's and lifts or keeping simple?

·
Registered
768 Posts
Yeah good luck with new project mate, i quite like the crafter , might think about a change in a year or so I:

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,096 Posts
As the title says
Mixed emotions, my T5 has been sold. Sad.
New to me Crafter, collecting on Thursday. Happy.
Just wanted to say a big thank you to all forum members who have helped me turn my ex painter and decorator panel van into an off road style swamper camper. I really don’t think I could have done it without you lot. Massive wealth of information and inspiration on this forum.
Had some great banter with Stuart and the disbanded No Low Transporters. Be so good to meet you one day soon, Stu.
And so the journey starts all over again with the big Crafter. Pics coming soon.
Cheers all
The inevitable comes to pass :D

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
Fun times ahead, saw a few converted crafters and Busfest, they're seriously impressive. Looking forward to seeing your work T:

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The big bus has arrived. MWB 14 plate with only 28,000 miles 109 bhp. I will get some pics up at the weekend.
Very impressed with the overall drive of the Crafter. responsive and smooth. comfortable seats and driving position.
Problem - Custom Roof Rack ( no good for me ) has been drilled and bolted on to roof. 6 x bolts.
What is the best method for filling these holes, please. Was thinking grommets and sika, or normal panel filler.
Any other suggestions would be most welcome.
First VW bash booked for May 2020, so the real work must begin. not ideal building through winter but hey ho.
Going for swamper look again ( as my T5 ).
Exciting times.
Cheers all
Smarty

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
Initial thoughts for the holes in the roof is to make rubber washers and re-use the bolts to fill the holes .....either that or an expedition type roof rack maybe :*

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
O ring and stainless allen cap bolts
Or as suggested go for the expedition rackT:
Lets have a look then smarty T:

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
I drive the longest highest Crafter for my work van, a 114PS, if youre planning to add any weight at all you are going to want a power increase asap.

They drive ok but on uneven surfaces and crosswinds theyre the most unpleasantly wobbly and jittery handling van ive ever driven.

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
What I found quite funny a few weeks back, I was sat at some traffic lights, being in a T5 you're higher / bigger than most cars around, then a crafter pulled up along side me, felt like I was in an old school mini LOL: They certainly have a presence and so much potential.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, I did have a bit of a wobble this morning after overtaking a lorry this morning on motorway.
I would of thought that a bit of weight low down will help with that. ( empty shell at moment ).
Thanks for the holes in roof suggestions.
Have you seen the price of those expedition roof racks :eek:

·
8,096 Posts
The big bus has arrived. MWB 14 plate with only 28,000 miles 109 bhp. I will get some pics up at the weekend.
Very impressed with the overall drive of the Crafter. responsive and smooth. comfortable seats and driving position.
Problem - Custom Roof Rack ( no good for me ) has been drilled and bolted on to roof. 6 x bolts.
What is the best method for filling these holes, please. Was thinking grommets and sika, or normal panel filler.
Any other suggestions would be most welcome.
First VW bash booked for May 2020, so the real work must begin. not ideal building through winter but hey ho.
Going for swamper look again ( as my T5 ).
Exciting times.
Cheers all
Smarty
I would use those holes as the seccuring points for flush fit roof rails.
You can then fit anything you like (racks, solar panels, lightbars, whatever) to the roof rails and have no more holes made in the roof A:

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would use those holes as the seccuring points for flush fit roof rails.
You can then fit anything you like (racks, solar panels, lightbars, whatever) to the roof rails and have no more holes made in the roof A:
Thanks Hoovie
the problem is the holes are in the roof about 2 inches in from the gutter channel.
the rack is a small custom job. obviously not custom made for the Crafter. :*

·
8,096 Posts
Thanks Hoovie
the problem is the holes are in the roof about 2 inches in from the gutter channel.
the rack is a small custom job. obviously not custom made for the Crafter. :*
that's ok. I fitted rails on my LT (which has no standard mounts) in a similar location and everything on the roof (4 x PV Panels, Lightbar and Roof Basket) is attached to those rails :)

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Yeah, I did have a bit of a wobble this morning after overtaking a lorry this morning on motorway.
I would of thought that a bit of weight low down will help with that. ( empty shell at moment ).
Thanks for the holes in roof suggestions.
Have you seen the price of those expedition roof racks
The problem is suspension mods, they have an odd transverse single leaf spring setup at the front and normal leaf springs at the back. I think thats part of the reason for the wobbly handling.

Look in the front arches and youll only see a shock absorber.

Im not even sure there are any improvements or lowering etc possible either.

Tbh even with flaws I would kind of prefer my last work van, a Citroen relay! The crafter cab is more spacious but the seat padding is poor and the stereo and speaker setup is just weird. Small bass ones in doors, too small, one central multi channel dash speaker and tweeters at ends of dash. If I could I'd rip the lot out vw nav unit the lot and put something normal in, had to settle for modding the door bass speakers.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts