VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Oh, while i remember does yours have the weak comedy horn many have?

I changed mine to a stebel nautilis, made the boss jump ?

Wish i could mod my ones suspension an empty windy run up or down the A68 or M6/M74 regular is a chore sometimes.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Oh, while i remember does yours have the weak comedy horn many have?

I changed mine to a stebel nautilis, made the boss jump ?

Wish i could mod my ones suspension an empty windy run up or down the A68 or M6/M74 regular is a chore sometimes.
Morning Mindriot
Yes mate it does have a weak horn and you are right about stereo.
Same as T5 really- more money to spend on mods.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Every large van is flawed, to a larger or lesser extent, the crafter is lesser with a few key issues.

If the seats were better and the tech a bit less primitive the cab would be the best in class, a little basic but not too bad. Well with the exception of the very hateful "unistalk" ala Mercedes as I like to csll it, thats hateful, but at least the cruise gets its own stalk separate. the cruise on mine is very odd, not sure if theyre all like that, but pressing the clutch pedal does not disengage cruise, its good because very ofthen you have to change gears to help the cruise cope which is a bit pathetic, and also be mindful if it is the norm downshifting to stop/brake or itll try to keep going and cause you grief stopping every single time until you hit the brake.

The inability to have but one intermittent wiper cycle combined with the silly washer jets on the wiper arms is very, very annoying and trust me I spend longer in a big van than the vast majority of people. Theres a 4 way aftermarket jet im going to get and fit the oem junk is useless.

The solution to the jittery wobbly handling is, like most vans, run with a little weight, but add any weight at all and youll find the 109hp/114 PS versions quickly lose top end go with any weight whatsoever, its an odd parallell as the 2.0 16V makes areasonably frugal cruiser, its just if it wasnt so horribly under tuned for reliability in a big lump of avehicle it would be perfect.

Hence my advice, find a way to add some power asap or youll struggle to do 70 in a headwind if you even put a toolbag in the back, im not joking.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Id have a look at the Crafter Seikel lift kit Option, i used their T6 Maxi HD kit on my T6 Camper, made a world of difference.

Handled a hell of a lot better than stock, plus the extra clearance was helpful

Just got back from 29,000km road trip around Australia, it handled everything from mountain roads, 4WD Tracks, Highway and Sand.

Im still deciding whether to upgrade to a MWB 4 motion Crafter or a MWB Sprinter 4x4

The Seikel kit would be the first thing i'd be doing to the Crafter.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Thanks for comments guys.I will get more pics up later. It`s not that big, MWB. 2014 with 28,000 miles. Best thing is, I can stand up inside. Just fits in drive. Go for it B&T
Stripped out in back down to the bones. Side windows fitted. not sure about back windows yet.
Door ladder, roof rack and skylight ready to fit over Christmas break. I will get more pics as I go.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Is the crafter going to be the van of choose and take over from the t5/6
I have seen them at shows and they seem to be slowly catching on being bigger some with garages and fixed bed over it and of course a shower room
I have also heard that exploria are dabbling with the crafter but probably the new vw only one
"It's only the vw that matters"

·
Registered
270 Posts
Congrats on your new van - I changed my T5 to a bigger van 4 years ago, best, non motorbike, vehicle I've ever owned (don't tell anyone on here but it's a pug boxer)

Hope your one turns out as good

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Congrats on your new van - I changed my T5 to a bigger van 4 years ago, best, non motorbike, vehicle I've ever owned (don't tell anyone on here but it's a pug boxer)

Hope your one turns out as good
Cheers Nashfly
Very happy with Crafter at the moment
Not the best time of year to start converting, progress is slow with the cold and damp weather.
Hopefully I can get cracking over Christmas break.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Do you any plans yet for the outside Smarty?
The novelty of being able to stand up inside has a lot of appeal (y)
Morning B&T
outside will be very similar to my old T5- see my album. Off-road swamper style.
Standing up and a little more room, without being too big is what swung it for me.
The Mrs also insisted on a toilet.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Looking good and looking forward to seeing your ideas on the way forward for you.
SO many choices with that much room inside. Good luck with the build.

21 - 40 of 113 Posts