VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a search through forum but couldnt get answers, would like to know if anyone thinks T5 (1.9 2006) gearchange is poor? How do you get the gear knob off & gaitor to see if it needs a lube. Mine gets squeekier and stiffer as it warms up? Dont think its a major gearbox issue but who knows?? Had a remap in the summer which is mega!! but cant change gear very smoothly and loose momentum. Any clues folks Ta.:(

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
2007 1.9TDi engine here, gear change is as smooth as a glass of Baileys. I would think you have something to track down.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Mine is stiff/notchy to get into gear these days, seems to have developed over the last few months, keep us updated what it is, if i get mine sorted ill do the same!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks fellas, does anyone know how to remove the gaitor/gear knob? I've no idea & not got a manual for T5. :(

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Would be great to get it smooth as a glass of baileys but how do you grease cables & where are they? I used to do lots of work on my T4 but not had to do any maintenance on T5 as yet so I'm a bit in the dark.:eek:

·
previously; salad tosser
306 Posts
To remove the knob prise off the center which has the numbers on it to reveal a torx bolt, undo that and the knob will lift off. As for the gaiter at the base of the leather there is a plastic ring which the leather is stapled to and this is clipped into the dash, use somthing blunt to prise the gaiter away from the dash and it will unclip T:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks fellas gonna try & get my knob out take my leather off and slap some grease around it all........??????
AM I ON THE RIGHT FORUM??????
SORRY!!!I:

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Had a search through forum but couldnt get answers, would like to know if anyone thinks T5 (1.9 2006) gearchange is poor? How do you get the gear knob off & gaitor to see if it needs a lube. Mine gets squeekier and stiffer as it warms up? Dont think its a major gearbox issue but who knows?? Had a remap in the summer which is mega!! but cant change gear very smoothly and loose momentum. Any clues folks Ta.:(
Somewhere on the forum is a thread with pictures showing how to take off the gear knob and gator.

I'll try to remember how [I had a new gator put on and had to give instructions on how to do it.

the gator is held into the dash by a ring with 4 clips. You have to very gently go round it to locate the clips [with a blade, or something] and pop each clip, being careful not to break them The gator is stapled to the ring.

To get the knob off, you have to carefull prise off the center disk, [with the gear map on] off . It is held on by 3 clips. Again, be careful not to break them. Once that is off, you'll see a funny shaped screwhead [a bit like hexagon shape] You need to undo this screw to be able to take the knob off altogether. Once undone, it should just lift off.

I hope that helps.

imp.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks people escaped the madness of toys and screaming kids yesterday to investigate my stiff/squeeky gear change. Got the gear knob off& gaitor and soon discovered the problem. Various ball joints and nylon cups etc that needed greasing. Now all the squeeks have gone although when I get more time I will take off more of the plastic dash for better access to the parts and do them again.*<:)>

1 - 13 of 13 Posts