VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife heard someone knocking at the front door this afternoon which is quite unusual for where we live.

We live on a quiet, hard to find, Cul De Sac in the middle of a large private housing estate.

There is a sign on the door stating " No Uninvited Traders " We won't buy from you and we don't want any advice.

People know not to knock on our door trying to sell or offer advice whether it be religious or other.

The person knocking had a deep Irish accent and wanted to buy my T4.

My T4 is not for sale and is not advertised for sale anywhere so wifey was surprised that he was keen to buy the T4.

Apparently he was just passing through the area and saw my nice T4 parked on my driveway.:confused:

Wonder if my T4 is being targeted to be taken and shipped over to Ireland.

I will have a word with my neighbours and ask them to keep an eye out.

Would it be a good idea to buy and fit a Wheel Clamp and Steering Wheel Lock?.

The T4 is factory alarmed and immobilised but I have heard of thieves just winching vehicles onto a breakdown truck.

Don't want to lose my Pride and Joy.

( it could of course be quite innocent and he is a member of this forum who just happened to come across my T4 ):rolleyes:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Is your van visible from any of the through roads? If not, how was he just passing in a cul-de-sac?

I'd say clamp it as a minimum, and look into getting a drop-in locking post for your drive too.

·
Registered
181 Posts
You never know what people are up to. I wonder what would have happened if you and your wife was out. Did he knock on the door to see if the coast was clear. I dont mean to be negative but i always think of the worst scenario first ..

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies.

Our driveway is wide enough to fit three vehicles on " even though we only have the one at the moment " so it could prove difficult to fit bollards.

He didn't leave a phone number.

You cannot see my T4 on the driveway from the other roads on the estate.

My wife said that he drove along the Cul De Sac and turned around level with my next door neighbours driveway, she thought it was our neighbours white van at first.

Need to find a good quality wheel clamp so if anyone has a link or recommendation please let me know.

Could be totally innocent but you never know.

Thank You

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
understand your concern, what about a tracker & movement sensor on the alarm?
short-term a sign saying you have them fitted as a dterrent
GL

·
Registered
316 Posts
white van irish accent...............sounds like a PIKEY to me! yes its a sweeping statement but thats what they do, i would be extra vigilant and make sure you can somehow secure your van until you get a wheel clamp or something equally effective at preventing the scum from helping themselves.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A Tracker could be a good idea.

Have been thinking of having CCTV fitted to our property for a while now but haven't taken the plunge yet.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Secure it very quickly before the scumbags come back! If I was in your position it would be an alarm with motion sensor, CCTV, clamp and tracker! If you do put up cctv makes sure it covers the approach to the house so you can get the veh's reg number and what they look like as they approach. If anyone turns up again and checks it out and you have them on film get plod out from behind his speed trap/off his lazy fat a4se and get him to look into it - and keep you informed.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I totally agree with dumptruckface......I wouldn't want to worry you but Irish travellers (not all) have a reputation to steal (and from) motor vehicles. So make sure you haven't got anything inside valuable and consider tracker/wheel clamp and steering lock...anything that would be a deterrent. Just keep a watchful eye, did you get the reg of their vehicle? Might be an idea just letting your local plod know in case something's happening in the area. The other thing is.....cats (not the furry type) they seem to be a hot favourite at the moment!

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just ordered a Heavy Duty Wheel Clamp which should be delivered by Wednesday afternoon.

Managed to borrow a Disklok from a friend and fitted that just now.

Have removed my Dash Cam and Radio plus all tools just in case.

Wife didn't think to get the registration number of the van ( she said it looked like a rented or leased van ).:(

·
6,662 Posts
To ensure they don't or can't drive it away you could remove the steering wheel or ecu or both.
A pain of course but they won't be towing it unless they have a trailer.

You could install an eye bolt in concrete and have the chassis chained to it in a similar way to
A motorbike.

Then there is the 240 volts to the door handles which is illegal but effective. (Please do not try this - it was meant in some form of jest)

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
They have flame throwers on cars in south africa try this.. sorry not trying to poke fun.

All my bright ideas have already been said..

Banana skins on drive?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
You might like to check this out

'Visit the New Look www.pinpointpal.com for more information on how to own @pinpointpal vehicle trackers.
Pay as You Go for just £10 a month or buy the All in One for £250, includes 2 years unlimited tracking!

£50 down and £10 a month for a tracker unit no sim needed nor phone account - covers more than UK too. Its extremely easy to fit (it worked straight out of the box for me!) and has a phone app to find your van. On Facebook its under pinpointpal.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I would look at bigger picture. Pikeys are strictly Ford Transit so I doubt if it was your T4 they were interested in. They may have been checking if anyone was in and the knock on the door enquiry was just a way of checking. Have you anything else that they may have been scoping out ?.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I had one of these on my old Baywindow van. http://bit.ly/17ufVb7
Let's you know via text as soon as a door is opened, engine started or battery disconnected amongst other things.
Allows you to track it and you can ask it at any time were its location is.
Just stick a pay as you go sim in. The credit will last for months.
You can then track it yourself instead of waiting for the police to look for it.

I bought mine cheaper from Hong Kong and it arrived in good time but you may want to get one from a UK seller to get it ASAP.
There are also much smaller ones on eBay that are even harder for a thief to find.

I took mine out of the T2 when I sold it to fit in the T4.
I really should fit it!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Might be an idea to have a word with your neighbours just to see whether they've had any random visits? At least then you can keep a watchful eye over eachother.....I know HUGE alarm bells would be ringing if it happened to me. Another thing to consider is whether the T4 is an excuse to see who is behind closed doors! I hope I'm really not worrying you but make sure everyone is locked up (double locked maybe) and don't keep your keys near your letterbox!

·
Registered
805 Posts
im i the only person that thinks this thread is a bit racist? if it was a guy in a white transit with a Leamington Spa accent that turned up at your door, would you be equally worried?

·
Registered
368 Posts
My answer to that is yes......if anyone just turned up at my address and I have absolutely no idea who they are asking about my van, living in a cul-de-sac with no view from a main road, I would be questioning their intentions without a shadow of doubt! But maybe that's me being over sceptical?!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts