VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys, at long last and after looking at countless t4's on ebay and missing out on a few, I've finally got my baby :) and so far it's been worth the wait and I'm as happy as a pig in the proverbial.. I picked it up just a couple of weeks ago but not had time to do much as yet, but i hope to get it kitted out over the next few months. At the mo, all I've done is change the indicator lenses and bung on a set of wind deflectors.

I've got the carpeting, all the usual bits and bobs for electric hookup etc and split charger all waiting to be put in. plus i've got a set 0f 18"alloys in my shed which I'm cleaning up (btw does anyone know if I can use the original bolts or need new ones?). on the lookout for 2X front seats, and still to get the insulation and ply lining sorted out... still fighting with my self on whether to put in side windows my self or pay to get it done... DIY price looks like I'll bite the bullet and take that option.

Here's some pics to kick off my journey.

pics from ebay

new clear lenses and wind deflectors installed today

18" alloys (still to be cleaned up)

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
if you do the windows yourself get the glass from vw but dont buy the rubber trim from them (if you are going to use it) the glass is £40 odd a side,the rubber trim is about £28 a side :eek: you can get it a lot cheaper from ebay,also someone on here was selling it for about a tenner a side T: am in glasgow if you want to have look at how mine turned out let me know T:

·
Banned
1,762 Posts
if you do the windows yourself get the glass from vw but dont buy the rubber trim from them (if you are going to use it) the glass is £40 odd a side,the rubber trim is about £28 a side :eek: you can get it a lot cheaper from ebay,also someone on here was selling it for about a tenner a side T: am in glasgow if you want to have look at how mine turned out let me know T:
And they give you a choice of plain or light green tint at VW ,, i went for plain and now wish i had gone for the green tint

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi mate,

thanks for the tip, I'll have a look into that option :) as for meeting up for a look at your van, that would be cool.

Cheers,

Geo

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That looks well high, what are the bases from?
As far as I'm aware the bases are from a T4. Basically I bought them with bases attached. The seats have been welded to them. I've not checked the size of the base compared to my originals but on face value they look the same. But now that you've mentioned it, I'll be getting the tape out and checking :)

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
As far as I'm aware the bases are from a T4. Basically I bought them with bases attached. The seats have been welded to them. I've not checked the size of the base compared to my originals but on face value they look the same. But now that you've mentioned it, I'll be getting the tape out and checking :)
Unless you have swivels fitted they should be standard height :*

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hi mate and good luck with the T4...I love mine to bits. You asked about the wheel nuts....mine has 18" VW alloys and the original nuts from the steels are fine plus of course a locking one as well as you don't want some git nickin' them. Another tip is change the screws that hold the door mirrors on to some with a allen/torx type head as it's been known for these to get nabbed as well.
Cheers.T:

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Unless you have swivels fitted they should be standard height :*

They don't have swivels fitted mate and I've checked they are defo t4, but the distance between the rails and the seat base is quite significant :( and don't see any obvious way to modify the rails.....

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
They don't have swivels fitted mate and I've checked they are defo t4, but the distance between the rails and the seat base is quite significant :( and don't see any obvious way to modify the rails.....
Would it be possible to either shave some height off the bottom or cut a piece oot the middle, strengthen it from the inside and reweld together :eek:

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi mate and good luck with the T4...I love mine to bits. You asked about the wheel nuts....mine has 18" VW alloys and the original nuts from the steels are fine plus of course a locking one as well as you don't want some git nickin' them. Another tip is change the screws that hold the door mirrors on to some with a allen/torx type head as it's been known for these to get nabbed as well.
Cheers.T:
top tip with the screws... can you tell me what size I need? cheers.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Would it be possible to either shave some height off the bottom or cut a piece oot the middle, strengthen it from the inside and reweld together :eek:
That's what I was thinking, try and get someone to take a bit out the middle then weld it shut again. there's a wee fabricators down the rd from me, so I'll pop in there and see if they can sort me out.

·
Registered
174 Posts
top tip with the screws... can you tell me what size I need? cheers.
Not sure what size they were as I had a load of different ones in a box on a shelf. Take one out and go to a local 'Engineer/Tool Merchant' and tell them what you want or when you visit a car/van show....bet you will!....get some from the vendors there.:ILU:

1 - 20 of 102 Posts