VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
all,

The current govt seem to think it's a good idea to sell off our publically owned woods and forests that are currently managed for conservation, public access and timber production by the forestry commission:

www.forestry.gov.uk

This probably won't mean lots of golf courses but it will be a massive blow to sustainable forest management and to public access.

Basically these are our woods and forests and we can access them to go walking, dog walking, camping, cycling, mountain biking, dogging, orienteering, horse riding and whatever else generally for free (or for a couple of quid parking at a purpose built centre) whenever we want. We get a say in how these forests and woods are managed through the FC being accountable to us, the taxpayers. They are managed to high environmental standards and to produce high quality timber alongside this and the recreation mentioned.

This currently focusses on England's public forests and woods but if it is successful, don't be fooled it'll be rolled out to Wales and Scotland.

Having free public access to our publicly owned woods, and all the other landscape and environmental benefits costs us taxpayers 30p per taxpayer per yr. Less than the price of half a MARS bar.

If this lot goes ahead and our woods are sold we'll never get them back.

Have a look here to find out more:

http://38degrees.org.uk/pages/save_our_forests_action_centre

and here

http://saveourforests.co.uk/

and here

http://saveourwoods.co.uk/

Have a look and get involved. There's precious little of the UK left that isn't owned by some large corporation or rich landowner already.

Rich

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Re: Government seling off our woods and forests

With you thatT: Signed petition already:ILU:

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

that was quick.... cheers for that.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts

Have the link on my FB page:D

Thoroughly shocking, let's hope the petitions make a difference...:)

·
Banned
10,255 Posts

It's disgraceful, this bunch of idiots are trying to undo everything people have fought for over the years, it appears fascism is with us again only in the UK this time:(

·
Registered
1,779 Posts

Good on you mate for putting this up T:

What gets me is that we, the great british public are put in the position of having to prove how much we value our woods and forests. Absolutely disgusting. Nobody but nobody has the right to sell off our countryside.

Why the hell should we prove how much we value our land. Is absolutely nothing in this flaming country sacred or beyond a cheap private or foreign buy out :confused::confused:

Mind you who the hell can actually afford to get to our beautiful countryside nowadays?

·
Registered
3,185 Posts

signed and donated well done mate for publicising this.T:

·
Registered
981 Posts

Signed this last week and got a link on my Facebook page.
There's a "Day of Action" outside Boots in Exeter on Saturday, 10am.
I did hear that Centre Parcs have been "sniffing around" Haldon Woods near here :(

·
Somebody stop me!
11,954 Posts

GB sold to the highest bidder, this really is the last straw surely? When are the government going to grow some ball$ and put responsibility for the national debt onto the people that caused it! Petition signed but cant see it doing any good like all the other petitions :(:*:(

Stuck on top for you, lets get behind it T:T:T:T:

·
Registered
1,062 Posts

Signed this a while ago and did a letter to my MP. Think it's a disgrace, as Jimmy said, seems anything is for sale in this country if the price is right. :(

As a keen MTBer it really annoys me. Actually more peeved about this than the VAT hike :eek:

It really makes me wonder how long it'll be before we have similar scenes to Egypt, there is so little positive things in the media at the moment and the average Joe is been squeezed so hard something will pop in time. I'm just glad I've got a great wife and little girl to keep it all in perspective. I'm thinking of buying shares in drug companies who make antidepressants, I forsee their prescribing going through the roof this year and then some.......

Thanks for posting to raise awareness for those that might not have known this T:

·
Registered
803 Posts

Another one signed up...

Hi Mick,
>
> Thanks so much for supporting Save Our Forests petition.
>
> The petition is growing fast, but we need more people to sign it. Could you help by asking your friends to sign up now? You can forward the email below.
>
> Please sign the petition now:
> http://www.38degrees.org.uk/save-our-forests
>
> Thanks,
> Mick

·
Registered
1,195 Posts

Give them an inch and they take a mile... literally. The goverment is the scum of the earth, they are all corrupt money pocketing theifs, end of!
Shame on you, you bunch of to55ers

Petition signed :ILU:

To55ers

·
Registered
301 Posts

I feel Dalby up here in Yorks is headed that way too, :( this sell-off is a discrace, but I fear it is probably all decided already,( tho I have still signed/written/voiced my concerns) this action will be irreversible once sold. I will be keeping an eye open for any politician's names lurking in the small print of the new owner's of any forests....I:

·
Premium Member
1,678 Posts

vat increase, pay freezes, crazy fuel prices are a pain..

but screw with my biking / walking & boating and im not happy... tis the release from everyday life you cant put a price on...muppets.

they will only sell it, screw access for the public, then have to invest taxpayers money so provate firms can improve an existing carpark that the public paid for in the 1st place, more red tape, more civil servants yet the public will loose big time..

1 - 20 of 32 Posts