VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I visited 'Classic Acoustics' yesterday for a Insulation and Carpeting Install..

I arrived at 8am, and Paul (owner of Classic Acoustics) and his trusty side-kick Chris, set to work on my LWB T5 GP..

All I can say is what a great job they did. The difference in sound is immense (even did my Bulk-head for me as it is a working Van) and the quality of the materials is second to none compared to all this 'Cheap' flashband and Recycled bottle nonsense being recommended by others..

In short, it was not worth my while in time and effort doing it myself, rather than employing their services to do it in a day. It was comfortably completed by 4.30pm that afternoon.

I even met another forum member there, and after witnessing the expertise and product quality from Classic Acoustics, he has even decided that they are the team for his camper journey.

The Doors now shut with a sturdy 'thud' and the drive home was remarkably quiet (considering my radio is currently disconnected)

Walking on the vinyl flooring is massively improved with the deadening material on the metal work, and with their help, I managed to get my one-piece ply floor (previously covered in Solar Yellow Altro style flooring) into place and it really came to life against the Anthracite carpet.

They even re-covered my 10inch Base tube in carpet to match, and sound deadened the Double seat base in the cab area (where the base tube neatly seats)..

All in all I would highly recommend speaking to Paul, as he really knows his stuff about 'Noise deadening', and has a variety of Carpet colours available to choose (all in stock it seemed)

They have a massive workshop that can easily house your T5 (in case of rain) with an array of large 'foam cutting' bandsaws to trim the product to suit. There is a very large spray booth for the application of the glue to the ply panels and carpeting... and Chris makes a blinding Cuppa too..

Cheers Guys for you efforts. I will post up pics when we have the Van built and ready for the Tool-show this week.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Here are a few images of how the Sound deadening process went..

Tape on the floor is covering spot welds on holes from VW efforts to ply line the floor from new

As you can see, the deadening material comes 4 ft wide, so not loads of joins everywhere.

Same goes with the floor deadening..

Wheel arches done in one piece (same as carpeting)

Double layer of Foam - Stuck together rather than leaving it to float in the cavities..

Even carpetted and 'deadened' the Bulk-head too..

·
Registered
189 Posts
glad to hear you've had good results, I've recently taken delivery of materials from Paul to do mine myself though haven't yet started. He's been very helpful on the phone.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have to say that the work that Paul and his guys do at Classic Acoustics is great. I am the guy Rossi7x Met on Saturday - I went to pick some stuff up from Paul - ended up being there 4 hours. Paul was very helpful with his advice and the time he spent with me, wasn't too much trouble for him.

Its hard to tell from the pics how good his work is. My background is sheet metal and fabrication - I was very impressed. The key to all of this is when you actually tap the panel after the acoustic had been put in place - man it's unreal !!.

Big thanks to Rossi7x for the time he also spent with me, I am 2 weeks into the T5 world so its very new to me. He let me chew his ears for the 4 hours about do's and dont's. Got loads of info from him about who to use too.

Cool looking van mate - keep it up..... and the best thing, it earns money too!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Do you mind if I ask how much the soundproofing and carpet lining cost? I'm trying to price up at the moment and would much rather get the job professionally done.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Do you mind if I ask how much the soundproofing and carpet lining cost? I'm trying to price up at the moment and would much rather get the job professionally done.
I would like to know this too... Just weighing up the cost for the best option......

·
Registered
189 Posts
for soundproofing materials you are looking at around £200 for sufficient material to cover everything to the rear of the front seats.
Bear in mind the emphasis here is on soundproofing rather than thermal insulation.
Note that this doesn't include carpeting. As I recall Paul charges around £8 a metre for carpet. Best if you call him for further information http://www.classicacoustics.co.uk/

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All I would say guys is give Paul a call...

What I had done was a little out of the ordinary, and not sure if it would be more or less than you would want for yourselves.

I didn't have the roof panels done, although I had the bulk-head and some other bits too..

Paul is a great guy, and to have it all done in a day was the massive appeal to me..

I know h is really busy at the moment building acoustic enclosures.

Good luck with it all...

·
Registered
78 Posts
I spoke to Paul the other day, nice lad plenty of time to discuss your requirements...

For a LWB T5 to be fully insulated,ply lined then (in my case) Vinyl walls and floor was roughly going to cost me £520 plus VAT.

But best to speak to Paul.

·
Registered
60 Posts
i dont want to raise a thread from the dead but...

is this acoustic insulation also thermal insulation?

anyone got any data on the thermal properties of Pauls products?

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Yes, the acoustic stuff also goes great job of thermal insulation.

Give Paul a call, he is a superstar.

Fully lined my 350Z with his gear and it made a HUGE difference in sound.
I was always driving round thinking the boot was open before, because the tyre noise echo's round the boot section on a standard Zed.
Not any more!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Just spoke to Paul, lovely bloke he has sorted out me for sound proofing my doors and floor, small discount for mentioning that I'm a forum member too!! Every little helps T:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Another highly positive recommendation from me for Paul and his team at classic acoustics. They produce materials packs for self fit or offer a fitting service. The quality of the work is great and I no longer need to turn the radio up when I get on the motorway!

I was concerned of reports of people using rock-wool and bubble wrap experiencing rust issues so the high quality materials and fitting method Paul and his team use seem very reassuring. I have not yet camped in the newly insulated van but I am sure it will be a different experience to the last time in November :)

Its now encouraging me to redo other bits of my van to match the smart new interior!

Paul has been helpful from start to finish and as its always good to hear personal experiences I wanted to pass mine on here!

They have a website with contact details and pictures for anyone interested in their services:

http://www.classicacoustics.co.uk/

·
Registered
23 Posts
Im thinking about getting mine done by Classic Acoustics. Is there space left to add extra thermal insulation on top of their soundproofing? Or does the soundproofing make it warm enough?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hi Matt we have the classic accoustics kit in our van, we have found the thermal properties to be excellent however I have not been in van with any other insulation so how it compares I couldn't say, but we have not been disappointed with it. We fitted ourselves both the sound deadening sheet with heat gun and the 25mm foam sheets. Really easy to do.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts