VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I didn't have such a great start to the weekend unfortunately. I was on my way to the workshop to make an early start on my project, but on the way there a horrible grinding and knocking noise began on my left front wheel just after taking a bend :(

It's the sort of noise that makes you think that something has just broken, and it's likely to be expensive !

So I pulled over, got out and began to have a look, I tried to wobble the wheel ....... fine, tried to look underneath but as I'm lowered I couldn't get my head underneath to see anything. So I had to continue on my journey ........ very very slowly I may add !

The grinding noise and clunking seemed to be getting worst ! :eek:
I was getting very worried that I was causing even more damage just by driving it. After a few hours I managed to get hold of my mechanic, he told me he had a garage full of vehicles, including one already on the hoist but he would have a quick look.

So I drove the four or so miles up to his garage ........ 15mph all the way ......... grinding, knocking and clunking :(

Then I realised I had yet another horrible moment, you know the ones ...... when you realise you've been a dick head ! I:
I'd forgotten my locking wheel nut :eek: so we couldn't get the wheel off !!!! what a complete and utter tosser !

So I had to go back to my workshop ......... grinding and knocking all the way !

I'm no mechanic, but I decided to have a look myself.

At first glance everything looks OK, but then I really don't know what I'm looking for anyway I: But if something is broken it should be
pretty obvious >>

I then decided to turn the hub to see where the noise was coming from. And the grinding and tinkering noise became very obvious, then the hub locked into place and I couldn't budge it until I began rotating it in the opposite direction, so I got my head right into the wheel arch to have a look behind the hub / brake disk assembly.

And this is what I saw ...... >>

A piece of metal :eek:

Where was it from ? what had broken ?

Well, I managed to pry it out with a screw driver, fearing the worst.

It turns out, it's a wheel balancing weight ! LOL: It had come off my Borbet !
How it got in there I'll never know :*

Apologies for the ramblings, but there is a moral to the story ........ it's always a good idea to have a decent trolley jack and axle stands, so you can do a quick inspection yourself. Any garage would charge for something as stupid as this.

Hopefully someone would of learned something from my experience also.

TURK ( Happy again ! :D )

·
Registered
283 Posts
Turk,
lucky escape for your wallet!
This however does appear to be a design feature of T4s.
Mine has a habit of getting stones stuck 'tween disc and disc shield which normally causes expensive-sounding screeching noises
(not unlike Mrs Bus :D )
Normally a nifty bit of high speed reversing cures it - the van that is, not Mrs Bus..........I:

·
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And the other lesson learned ... Keep the locking wheel nut key IN the vehicle, and NOT in a drawer in your workshop :D

Pain free solution,at least in the wallet area T:

Yeah, I know !

I put it in a safe place ......... but then I couldn't remember where the 'safe place' was !!! I:

And yes, yet another learning experience ...... 'T4 schooling' no doubt there'll be plenty more.

TURK

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,271 Posts
Yeah, I know !

I put it in a safe place ......... but then I couldn't remember where the 'safe place' was !!! I:

And yes, yet another learning experience ...... 'T4 schooling' no doubt there'll be plenty more.

TURK
I have lost count of all the tools I have two of, with the first in a "safe place" LOL:

·
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I put it down to old age Hoovie I:

And don't even get me started on keys !!!!!! ......... I covered a fair few miles that day, I'll never forget it LOL:

I can't wait for when I move to France, I'll buy a workshop and build an apartment in it, with everything in one location I'll be as happy as a pig in S*** and I can concentrate on my project T: :D

TURK

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,271 Posts
Thanks mate T:

Paulm inquired about that a while back.

Take a look here for better pics > http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=2426182&postcount=4

You can get a 2 ton, but mines the 2.5 ton version.

TURK
2.5t good, but FYI the 2T one is just over £100, so a useful saving if you don't want/need the extra capacity? (Costco do same brand 3t stands for £12 a pair as well but they come and go in terms of stock presence)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.