VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Transporter T5 2008, automatic gearbox, 2,5 engine.

This sound comes and goes and started about two months ago. When lifting my foot from the gas it makes this 1 second grindning sound, almost like really worn brake pads. (I replaced the pads and discs but sound still remains.)

Sometimes it also have the characteristic of air blowing on top of the grinding. Always hard to describe sounds, I have tried to record it but since it comes and goes I have not managed yet. Any ideas of what this could be? My thought first was the gearbox, but it shift so smooth even when sound is appearing so my guess is something else. But I have no idea what.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I would check all the hose connections between the turbo, intercooler & engine. The large diameter pipes are help in place with a spring clip & sealed with an O-ring. These joints get loose over time with the pressure surges that the turbo produces & it is quite common for them to fail. Sometimes they just leak producing a similar sound, other times they blow off.
Leaking joints can be usually spotted by areas of what appears to be an oil leak.

If the sound in the video is what you have then you really need to get the turbo itself physically checked over before it blows & does some serious damage to your engine.
In fairness the turbo on your 2.5 engine is "easier" to replace than the 1.9 engines as it is a seperate unit, not part of the inlet manifold as it is on the 1.9 engines.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a lot! I will check this later today. Yesterday I connected my ODB reader and got two codes:

P0100 = Mass or Volume Air Flow A Circuit
P0400 = Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow

1 - 4 of 4 Posts