VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick one.

I've just made it to northern Norway after a 2500 mile trek up. All the way from Denmark its been making a typical buggered wheel bearing noise from the front. It gets louder round left hand bends. We are at my partners parents and her father is a mechanic who owns the local garage. He's had a good look and doesn't think its the bearing. Theres a lot of play on both front wheels and he seems to think is the steering arms that are the problem. Would this make a groaning noise around corners. I'm going to order new rods and bearings anyway just in case. Does anyone else have any handy thoughts. He also notices the tyres were all stepped on the left hans side which he thinks may be making the noise worse. Its not big chunky off road tyres on which make me wonder about going back to proper road tyres.

He gave it a good steam clean whilst it was up on the ramps so it looks amazing inside the engine bay now T:

·
Registered
11 Posts
If the noise gets worse when going round a left hand corner then it's most likely the r/h wheel bearing. Increased noise on a r/h corner indicates a l/h wheel bearing. It's all a case of the vehicle weight being thrown onto the noisy bearing and relieving the vehicle weight on the other side.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds daft but we've just bumped the tyre pressures up to 50 psi and it seems to have gone away. I've had trouble finding what pressures to run at :*. These are 215/75/15 Bridgestone dueler's and the max press is 50 psi but the van sticker says 51 to 57 psi for 195 standard wheels. I hope it stays ok for the way home.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts