VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

Growing herbs in your van!

1K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Russbooger 
#1 ·
I have had an idea about growing herbs on my camper dashboard so i can use when I go camping and add some flavour to food i cook. I thought the sun on the dashboard and the glass would create a bit of a greenhouse effect which would be perfect when parked up.

I was trying to come up with some ideas on making a narrow box which was secured in some way temporarily on the dashboard and would be leakproof when i water.

Anyone have any examples of doing this themselves or any ideas?

#3 ·
it will get v hot! Not sure you'd have enough of a body of soil to stop them drying out... I like the idea though! Maybe something movable that fits into the dash recess...

#9 ·
Haha not those sort of herbs!

I was thinking more of the coriander variety?! haha

Yes the dash may get hot but surely no more than a greenhouse would? I wanted it to be portable so if parked up camping i could even hang it off my door handle or roof rails in the sunshine and accessible when cooking?

I will see if I can find this you tube video, however if i had a wall of plants inside my van i can't see how on earth i would get in to go to sleep! :*

#18 ·
I grow approximately half a million plants a year under glass.. :) trust me, you're dash will get way too hot. leading to your herbs getting stretched up, scorched and drying out. To do it successfully you'll need to apply some sort of shading, keep an even temperature and provide adequate ventilation.. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.