VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all does any one no weather this will be a straight swap or will i need other bits will my aac ecu work ok any help would be greatfull

·
Registered
648 Posts
As Brookster says, you need to swap the sump/oil pick-up over, drill a hole for the old dipstick and block the AGG dipstick hole. You will also need to tap and drill the O/S engine mount holes on the AGG block (the locations should be cast in the block, but they're not machined). It should run OK with the ACC ECU, although you won't get the full potential out of the engine (ACC had max power under 5k rpm). If you use the ACC ECU, then I think you will need to use the ACC distributor, as the AGG has a different setup with the Hall Effect pickup on the end of the cam (2E engines were similar to ACC, but the arrangement changed for the AGG and later engines)

Have a look at Noo Noo's build thread for more engine swap info: http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=49232.

Good luck and let us know how you get onT:

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks brookster/gills so seems straight forward to do so the ecu would be fine so if i was to pick up the agg ecu would i need the agg loom or is it plug and play ?

·
Registered
648 Posts
so if i was to pick up the agg ecu would i need the agg loom or is it plug and play ?
You'd need the engine loom, complete with knock sensors (bolt to the front of the block - may still be on engine) and MAF, which you'd need to mount somewhere after the air filter (possibly replace the filter housing too??). If you're got an early van, then you'll need a lambda sensor. As I mentioned before, the AGG uses a different dizzy/hall sensor arrangement, so if you've not got these with the engine, then you'd need them too.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks gills might source a loom and ecu i have the complete engine minus the alternator all other bits are there sensors maf everything . how hard would wiring the loom in ? not to clever with the electrical side of things ? i have the 91 caravelle

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
thanks gills might source a loom and ecu i have the complete engine minus the alternator all other bits are there sensors maf everything . how hard would wiring the loom in ? not to clever with the electrical side of things ? i have the 91 caravelle
Pretty easy, all the wiring diagrams on the net, would probably plug into the fusebox. Just dont let the magic smoke out.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so would it be better to use agg loom ? than the orignal loom how much performance wud i lose ?

·
Registered
648 Posts
so would it be better to use agg loom ? than the orignal loom how much performance wud i lose ?
If you use AGG ECU you'll need the AGG loom for the extra sensors, if you use the original ECU then stick with original loom.

Folk who've done it sticking with original ECU still report a noticeable improvement. If you want to get extra top end, then you'll need AGG ECU. You could swap the engine over using the existing electronics and see how it goes. If you then want a bit more go, swap to the AGG electrics - it shouldn't be too hard to do even with engine in situ.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks gills im going to stick with loom i have for now and as u said if want a lil extra then think about swapping it to be honest im not to worried about top end . another question what other gearbox could i use with a o.6/7 5th gear ?

·
previously known as passattdi
1,173 Posts
I've got a K&N induction kit which I had fitted to my old Mk3 GTI which was an AGG engine.

It's still sat in its box with everything complete including the stickers and paperwork. I think there's about 990,000 miles left on the warranty too.

Cheers

Alex

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi bit lost with why u need 2 change sump and pick up .and dipstick? Sorry new 2 this but was thinking of doing this as my engine has seen better days ?

·
Registered
567 Posts
dipstick is on the other side of the engine, not 100% about the sump but i would assume the new engine wouldnt go in without the sump fouling and the pick up wouldnt suit the t4 sump.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts