VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
THANKS FOR THE GUIDE TO REPLACING FRONT SECTION HANDBRAKE CABLE.JUST ORDERED NEW CABLE VW PART NO701711476A AND SPRING PART NO701711247 £16.45+vat for both THESE ARE FOR T4 O2 REG 2.5TDI MANY THANKSA:

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
How do, anyone got a pic of what the spring retainer is supposed to clip into???? I got a replacement but there wasn't one fitted on my LWB, any ideas????

·
Registered
11 Posts
How do, anyone got a pic of what the spring retainer is supposed to clip into???? I got a replacement but there wasn't one fitted on my LWB, any ideas????
Old thread so you may have solved this, but posting for anyone else reading and wondering.

One of these: http://www.brickwerks.co.uk/index.php/compensating-lever-t4-handbrake-1868.html - just goes in to a hole on the van floor rib, it'll be obvious when you look at the spring. I got a new spring and plastic spring bracket from them recently as I had to change one of my rear cables, it was sticking and holding the caliper on the disk which made for an exciting drive home - and this was the day on which I picked the van up!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for the guide. Change mine on Saturday. The old one was pretty frayed...

On a Caravelle, you don't need to un-bolt the lever. Plenty of space the attach the cable and put on a tie.
Anyway the carpet is in the way and can't be removed without taking out the seats etc.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Additions:

1. You can change the cable without removing the lever in the cabin. Just release the cable, remove the shell, raise the handle to high and you can access the hook.

2. The nylock was gone - so I just used to nuts - and tightened them against each other (contra tightening)

3. If the white bushing is hard to press home - just get it in as good as possible, tighten the nut, get inside the cabin and pull the lever, and the cable will press the white bushing home.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Have just done the front section of my handbrake - your article was a big help thanks.
Found it easier to get the rubber boot in place in the cab by pushing it up through into the cab with a long screwdriver and then pushing it down into place to seal.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts