VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have posted this in the Mk4 golf thread as well, but I have heard lots of people asking about de-catting their exhaust ....

Have been told by 3 independent MOT'ers provided your engine is healthy, you don't need a CAT for your MOT.

Check how fine (and how much of) this honeycomb is in this pipe. Obviously I have emptied one half, but thought you might be interested to see ... removing all this will help the Turbo spin up a lot quicker.

·
Registered
450 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
"Have been told by 3 independent MOT'ers provided your engine is healthy, you don't need a CAT for your MOT. "

rang the VOSA helpline before decatting mine and was told the same thing - it's just a smoke test on diesels T:

is that an replacement kwik fit type cat? i have been told they are usually made of cheap ceramic brick - unlike the original one fitted when the van was built which contain platinum - and the scrappies want, although the first scrappy i went to tried telling me mine was a cheap replacement ceramic one worth nothing, but he could dispose of it for me to save me taking it down the local tip . noo... dont think sooo... i had the van from three years old and the cat had the original VW stamp and part number stamped into it. cheeky s*d!

A different scrappy gave me £50 for it

·
T4 Custom trailer maker
1,916 Posts
yeah a decat is definately legal a they are only fitted for type approval when new.

Decated the wifes disco (300 Tdi) and it maid a massive improvement, better MPG and more pwer as turbo seems to spin up quicker.

Sound better too if you keep cat but remove innards. (cherry bomb effect)

Looks good if you sell it as it looks standard I:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts