VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Am really annoyed!!:( Spent ages making a nice job of fitting my pop top and while carpeting the front bit put a stanley blade through the tent - got a slice about 1" long right at the bottom where the tent screws down:(:(:(:(

Has anyone any ideas on how I could sort this? I haven't sealed the tent yet so I could loosen the bottom section and slide a piece in but could I get it sewn? Could I bond/glue it?

The other option is to draw a pencil line around the bottom of the tent level with the slit (it is right along the bottom) remove the fixing strip a bit at a time and pull the tent through and fix it with the pencil line on the inside edge - I'd lose about an 1" off the height:*

Any help really appreciated:(:(:(

Jay

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
I would have said a repair patch the same colour or even clear as said here. 1" is not too bad and it sounds like it's away out of sight your forget about it in a few weeks once it's repaired. T:

·
Registered
473 Posts
if it were me i would loose an inch off the height... at least then there's no repair to see and if you didn't tell anyone I: no one would ever know for an inch I:.. and no chances of the repair failing and letting in water later down the line T:

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Ive repaired tents with fine fishing line . Sew it up and run a line of super glue over it . Fixed for good.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I'd go for using some repair tape, Tenacious tape is the canines danglers for this sort of repair.

I'd be a bit wary of 'tucking in' the repair and losing a little in height as this will put a little extra strain on the rest of the tent. It may be only a slight extra strain, but am sure the measurements of these things have been worked out to a pretty damn fine tolerance!

·
Registered
571 Posts
if it were me i would loose an inch off the height... at least then there's no repair to see and if you didn't tell anyone I: no one would ever know for an inch I:.. and no chances of the repair failing and letting in water later down the line T:
I would agree with this, bit of a pain doing it but I think it's the best way, you would never notice an inch :ILU:

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm eering towards refitting the tent, I'd have to take the same amount from the whole way round the bottom of the tent. What a FPITA:( Just feel like burning it all

·
Registered
571 Posts
I'm eering towards refitting the tent, I'd have to take the same amount from the whole way round the bottom of the tent. What a FPITA:( Just feel like burning it all
it happens mate, it will be a story to tell when your camping in the summer and people are asking how much you paid for your mint van, chin up :ILU:

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yay!! All sorted. After a horrible night at work stressing and worrying, and thinking why on earth I decided to do this on Fri 13th I came up with a plan to undo the tent, pull it in an inch and refit it, started at the fron and worked back jobs a goodunT: Looks exactly like it did before can't even tell inside or out, infact looks tighter than it was before, bonus :)

Now just got to make sure i dont do it again!!

Thanks for your support/helpT:

Jay

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hi there I've a poptoproof kit I wanna fit to my new van but unsure if it's a job for me. I've fitted hundreds of windows and sunroofs in the past but never a roof. Had you ever done one before this one and if not what's it like to do ? T:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts