VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right, i've searched through a load of threads and haven't found the answer i'm looking for yet.

What is the difference / benefit of using coilovers over using just different springs.

I've been looking at getting some coilovers as people seem to rave about them... but no-one actually says why...

I'm currently running with H&R 40mm springs.... so whats the difference...if any?

Worth the swap?

Worth the price?

Opinions supported by facts please!

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
coilovers give better ride and handling due to more coils on spring ,
+ if you want to adjust ride height its a nice easy quick job T:

·
Premium Member
6,273 Posts
I would only buy coilovers if I had real concerns with ride quality or I absolutely had to get my bus lower to fit in the garage. I have neither problem so £1500 is staying in the bank for now. You wont get the money back on resale thats for sure.

·
Registered
193 Posts
£1500 - £1000....? I have seen another thread with a coilover price of £450:*

Any one fitted these cheapy ones as I want a better ride than my H&R set up. Lost three fillings and a headlight as the ride is boner stiff.

·
Premium Member
6,273 Posts
£1500 - £1000....? I have seen another thread with a coilover price of £450:*

Any one fitted these cheapy ones as I want a better ride than my H&R set up. Lost three fillings and a headlight as the ride is boner stiff.
The question was H&R springs vs H&R coilovers.

H&R coilovers cost £1360 in the UK + fitting hence £1500

VMaxx coilovers are £650 + fitting, I've not looked at the them because they dont suit my T32.

·
Registered
606 Posts
If the ride on the H&R springs is very stiff, you might be sitting on or close to the bump stops, there's a recent thread on here where someone had similar symptoms with thier H&R springs...

The simple reason I guess coilovers are so much more expensive is that you are buying a lot more components. You are replacing the springs and shocks, not just the springs.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Don't know much about the coilovers but changing the springs from Jamex to H&R i am chuffed to bits :D

Couldn't really justify spending £1000+ though :eek:

Tra

·
Registered
196 Posts
That gas gas looks too clean ,Only Ossa,s get in my T5
Im on sportline spring the now and there a bit rough over potholes ,so would move to coilovers if this was the answer to a better ride

1 - 15 of 15 Posts