VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just on the way to oxford today, going down onto the M40 slip road and the car in front of next hits the brakes ! ! ! and i just hit the car in front of me but the new fiat slams into the rear of mine, driver that hit the brakes then drove off, have spoken to the insurance got it collected then 2 hours later the young girl is telling me its written off but they will have to assess what its worth, ? ? how does that work then because i love my van,

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
As whooshwhoosh says.

My van has just been in body shop, all it needed was a new tailgate and rear bumper. Cost to insurance £1500.

Using these silly prices, van can easily get written off, without that much actual damage. All depends on what damage has actually been caused.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Similar kind of thing happend to me a while back where I locked up and hit the car in front though no one hit me so all on my insurance. Mine and Fiesta I hit was written off.

The insurance company said that they'd pay out as the car was a write off.
They offered £2,500.0 and they would get rid of the van

As I hadn't accepted their offer the van as it was still technically mine so they offered me £2k with £500.00 reduction for the van. Resulting in me spending the £2k on 2nd hand parts, rebuild and having a full respray.

Hope this may help mate. Plenty of 2nd hand parts about

·
Registered
474 Posts
If they offer you silly money refuse it ,look for similar vans to yours being advertised on the internet and email the insurance company the links ,this helped with a lot of people who own Africa twin motorcycles ,they are normally only booked down to the value of around £1500 but you will be very lucky to find a nice one for less the £4000

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Sorry to state the obvious - but this is where the whole 'scene tax' thing really bites - and it's the bit people never seem to realise until it's too late.

Unless you've got 'agreed value' on your insurance, it will be one hell of a job to get anything other than the Glass' Guide value for your van - so a couple of grand at best.

The only option is to take a reduction in the payout and then 'buy back' the van and use the money to get it repaired yourself - depending on the damage and price of seconhand bits to repair it, you might end doing OK out of the deal.......

The added downside to this is you then have a Cat D (or whatever) written off van on your hands, that will most likely affect it's resale value.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi. Im an insurance assessor, own a company called Kent Automotive Assessors LTD.

Check your policy. our vans are to new for Agreed Policies unless heavily modified. so glass's guide is what it says, it's a guide. general policies are 'MARKET VALUE' this is good for VW's as 99% sell greater than glass's guide, so dont take no flack from them

If you can imagine that claims girl being called, she has to envisage the damage, and some bloke (prob at garage who dont really have a clue) told her its a write off, so she passing those words on, but also saying a assessor will need to look at it.

Do your home work here and via ebay, autotrader etc etc, this will give you a fair guide to value of yours, Insurance companies value modifications differently from the general public, I.E. if your van has Steel Wheels and Tyres and replace with with aftermarket Alloys, the only upgrade you have made is price difference from new original equipment and the new Alloys. so tread carefully.

Look up my webside, even call me on 01634-576205. and i'll give you all the free advise. garages will normally overload a estimate of repair when they dont want the job, so if your not happy with the garage they choose, that it to your choice.

Your get bout 'its got to go to our approved repair because your get a courtesy car' thats all baloney, (they just saving money, plus quality of work is lower as the garage are screwed into the ground for discounts) you can take it where you want, and ask that garage to supply you a car as they getting your business.

also remember, your vehicle suffered two impacts, 1st when your hit the vehicle infront, 2nd when car behind hit you. these are important, as both have their own repair costs, so make sure garage do to seperate estimates, as this can seriously help your case. I.E. you have light impact to front, and heavier to rear. i'd need to explain that over the phone of how all this can be handled to save your vehicle.

Feel free to send me some images and i'll help your claim free of charge as your a T4 Member.
Cheers
Paul

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
this happend to me 20 years ago with a mk2 jetta gti 16 valve, the car was insured as modified and got writen off, i had spent a fortune on the car being a show winning car for three years... before i had chance to buy the car back it was in a scrap yard 200 miles from where i live, i was furious with the insurance as they never even told me the car was being moved from the local storage site round the corner from my house, they just took it.. make sure you quick in telling them you want the van back as this could also happen..

good luck and like said keeping the van and taking what they offer is the best option, fix the van yourself you might even come out on top..

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Hi. Im an insurance assessor, own a company called Kent Automotive Assessors LTD.

Check your policy. our vans are to new for Agreed Policies unless heavily modified. so glass's guide is what it says, it's a guide. general policies are 'MARKET VALUE' this is good for VW's as 99% sell greater than glass's guide, so dont take no flack from them

If you can imagine that claims girl being called, she has to envisage the damage, and some bloke (prob at garage who dont really have a clue) told her its a write off, so she passing those words on, but also saying a assessor will need to look at it.

Do your home work here and via ebay, autotrader etc etc, this will give you a fair guide to value of yours, Insurance companies value modifications differently from the general public, I.E. if your van has Steel Wheels and Tyres and replace with with aftermarket Alloys, the only upgrade you have made is price difference from new original equipment and the new Alloys. so tread carefully.

Look up my webside, even call me on 01634-576205 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting01634-576205end_of_the_skype_highlighting. and i'll give you all the free advise. garages will normally overload a estimate of repair when they dont want the job, so if your not happy with the garage they choose, that it to your choice.

Your get bout 'its got to go to our approved repair because your get a courtesy car' thats all baloney, (they just saving money, plus quality of work is lower as the garage are screwed into the ground for discounts) you can take it where you want, and ask that garage to supply you a car as they getting your business.

also remember, your vehicle suffered two impacts, 1st when your hit the vehicle infront, 2nd when car behind hit you. these are important, as both have their own repair costs, so make sure garage do to seperate estimates, as this can seriously help your case. I.E. you have light impact to front, and heavier to rear. i'd need to explain that over the phone of how all this can be handled to save your vehicle.

Feel free to send me some images and i'll help your claim free of charge as your a T4 Member.
Cheers
Paul
This is all great advise, and not something your average Joe would realise, how does it stand if he accepts a reduced payment and has the van back, I always thought that if you go with this option then the van is not written off, as you have it it back and have accepted a payment in lieu of what would have been offered if you had gone down the normal route of payment and them keeping van ?

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My van is an 03 2.5 888, 56k and tidy, i am going today to get my bits off the van, want to take off the alloys and side bars, i do have a commercial insurance and have a value of £4000 agreed so will have to see on monday, Just feels weird not having my van out the front.

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Another little wrinkle to watch out for ....

The wife pranged our Mercedes when it was new - shoved a guy in a Fiesta across a roundabout. Nice mess.

Looked bad but insurance company paid up and repaired it.

I was a bit puzzled when a year later I didn't get a tax reminder but renewed the tax at the Post Office without problem. A long time later, about 18 months, DVLA issued new registration docs to everyone but mine didn't arrive. Called DVLA and they informed me that the police had told them it was a likely write-off, so they did!!!!

I got it sorted, but not sure what would have happened if pranged again, or why the Old Bill didn't stop me.

A

·
Registered
50 Posts
This is all great advise, and not something your average Joe would realise, how does it stand if he accepts a reduced payment and has the van back, I always thought that if you go with this option then the van is not written off, as you have it it back and have accepted a payment in lieu of what would have been offered if you had gone down the normal route of payment and them keeping van ?

If anyone agrees a value and you cash the paid cheque, thats deemed full and final, however, if you return the cheque and support your own value, then insurers have to attempt to agree a new value.

should anybody wish to retain their vehicle, thats down to what catergory the total loss is deemed. CAT 'A' is Crush only = no retention. CAT 'B' is Breaker only = no retention ( unless Thirparty insurance company will not dispose off). CAT 'C' Repairs exceed value, but would be repairable using 'Green Parts' (thats 2nd hand parts to everyone) so retention ok at fair salvage cost, CAT 'D' Repairs below value, the vehicle may have old damage overlaping new damage, poor paintwork, or parts on back order. retention ok at a fair salvage cost, however, the owner could negotiate a Cash In Liew or a Contract repair with a garage.
But please note:- Thirdparty insurers have no legal right to charge to retain salvage as ABI law says they have no insurable interest. (very import to you guys when its not your fault ok.. go through Third party and make your claim)

Depending on your vehicle and its class when built, some CAT 'C' vehicles will require a VOSA check. and also. even if a CASH IN LIEW is agreed to keep the vehicle, the insurance still have the right to place vehicle on total loss register

Hope this info helps a lot of you out.
Paul

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Missed the collection yard today, will go over tommorow and get all my stuff , tools and materials, going to try and take off the side bars and wheels, Think i would have it back, just had it all serviced with new disc's pads etc, mot till aug and just re-taxed it, and just hired a Renault Trafic @ £200 for the week

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi, If your insurance know you have the Alloys and side bars. its best not to remove anything till you sorted value etc out, otherwise, they may deduct money from value due to removal of parts.

Paul

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would feel better to have the rims and bars back, just need to convince the yard to allow me to remove them

·
sc vw customs 1.9tdi convert
17,028 Posts
I would feel better to have the rims and bars back, just need to convince the yard to allow me to remove them
sod convincing the yard..its your van,until the insurance pays out...

sorry if this upsets but insurance companys are :*in rip off merchants...

i had a mate who had his wheels stolen,van was jacked on the sills etc and damage to these...

he phoned me to say it had happened...

his insurance company sent a recovery truck to collect the van,the guy was going to lift the van with a grab,crushing the roof and in his own words 'if i recover this van and lift it,it will be write off anyway'...

he phoned me..i told him to tell the guy to :* right off and leave my vechile alone.....we took the van ourselves after sorting some wheels back on it to the garage....

after some messing about...the insurance decided to write off as reapirs at this so say insurance approved garage would cost £4000....

:* that i said,we went to the garage,walked in,picked up his keys from the office and drove the van off....

next day we took it to a bodyshop i know of....we got the guy there to phone the insurance,he said he would take over the repair and sort the van for about £600....:eek:....a big drop from 4K eh!!!

new sills,bit of paint and a set of wheels and he was rolling again...

Moral of the story is never trust insurance companys,they will happily write off perfectly good vehciles,take them to salvage and scrap them,wasting cars and vans that have nowt wrong with them...

this may not be the law and i could be very wrong here...but if i am in accident and my car or van gets smashed...that van is mine until they pay out...Rasp:..and no one would stop me removing or doing what i want to it,,apart form the police...

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
When i spoke to insurance co and explained the damage i can see, light rear and most of damage to the front, the young girl says OH that will be a write off, then starts to tell me what happen then, Isaid your not a vehicle engineer and i'm not either so you cannot make that comment, soon want to double ya premiums young drivers ? insurance cost is because of the throw away insurance companys.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts