VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey There

Can anyone who has one of these halford tools confirm that this is the right one please?

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/HalfordsProductDetailsLiteView?storeId=10001&langId=-1&productId=214227&cm_sp=Intelligent_Offer-_-Product_Details_Zone_2-_-Blank&iozone=PDPz2&TB_iframe=true&TB_C_ID=productdetails&TB_C_TITLE=Laser%20Brake%20Caliper%20Rewind%20Tool&width=800

I want to buy the same one off of ebay for half the price but there's a left and right hand thread one so want to make sure that I'm going to get the correct one (right hand thread I think?).

Cheers

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
g clamp is cheaper! I:

No idea if your link is for the correct tool, sorry.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Just looked on bennetts web site they are £16.12p now comes under laser vehicle service tools on there site.:)

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Using a G clamp on the type that have a threaded handbrake adjuster inside the caliper and you will have screwed the caliper ! ! ! Expensive mistake ! ! !
The correct tool rotates the piston at the same time as pushing it home. I:
I know you have to turn it... otherwise my T5 would be ******, I should have clarified you also need to turn the piston whilst applying light pressure with the clamp.T:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey

Thanks for the replies everyone. It's for the rear brakes and after reading some of the posts on here of people struggling to rotate the piston, I decided it was easier to just buy the tool.

The tool on ebay (same laser one) is £14 including delivery whereas the bennets site are charging £7 delivery + £16 but thanks for pointing it out though.

This forum is better than a Haynes Manual!

·
Registered
582 Posts
on the fronts i used 2 large screwdrivers while in the vice with a block of wood and on the rears you can wind them back with some circlip pliars in the 2 grooves....

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I know you have to turn it... otherwise my T5 would be ******, I should have clarified you also need to turn the piston whilst applying light pressure with the clamp.T:
Well I have used a G clamp for years and never screwed a caliper yet!!!!!!! as long as its a right hand thread caliper and you put the rotating pad of the thread on the piston then it will turn the piston as ir pushes it back in

·
Banned
2,103 Posts
With the resivour cap of I used a g clamp one that u pump and it worked fine

1 - 16 of 16 Posts