VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to Oldham Halfords today for oil ,air and fuel filters ,to be told they don't supply them for a 95 ,1.9 velle.

I don't normally use them but the parts guy said I could use his 60% trade discount ,then he found out after phoning suppliers they don't do them.

Anybody else had probs. with basic parts from them?

Spud.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dont usually bother with them ,but after reading on here that they do a trade dicount card with up to 60% off tools and consumables I thought I would call in ,they had no trade cards but the counter guy said I can use his ,so then I thought I would see if I could get the three filters. No luck. 60% of nothing is nothing , (even I can work that out :) )

I can understand maybe the air filter as its a bit different , but the oil filter ? This engine ( 1.9 aef ) is in loads of different vehicles and has got a common oil filter . How rubbish is that?

I can get all three dead easy local anyway ,just thought I would check the discount out.

Cheers ,Spud

·
Registered
285 Posts
Went to Oldham Halfords today for oil ,air and fuel filters ,to be told they don't supply them for a 95 ,1.9 velle.

I don't normally use them but the parts guy said I could use his 60% trade discount ,then he found out after phoning suppliers they don't do them.

Anybody else had probs. with basic parts from them?

Spud.
Wouldn't touch halfords with a barge poll, hopeless the lot of them

·
Premium Member
30,977 Posts
I bought a halfords professional socket set (£200 reduced to £100 plus 20% off online so £80 all in)

Had it a year now and it's all still there, nothing's broken and it's had a hard life so far I:

I use the 19mm impact socket for the wheel nuts T:

Getting back to the ops question, I've never bought anything part related from them, why would you when the likes of TPS and GSF are so cheap :*

·
Registered
396 Posts
They could have ordered the parts in to be honest
My socket set is all ok
Took a TomTom back yesterday without the invoice and got a replacement, no questions asked

I must admit, I wouldn't pay for them to fit anything

·
Registered
279 Posts
Their socket sets are excellent though ;)
Agree
I've had a halfords one for 17 years used it /abused it and only ever had to grease the ratchet mech.
If I did have a problem I prefer to know I can just take a faulty tool back rather than wait a week for the snap on guy to come round.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Needed some M10 x 40mm bolts in a hurry this afternoon and only Halfords was open. Nearly six quid for 6 bolts:eek::eek: What a rip off. Trouble is that at 3.30pm sunday afternoon, your over a barrel :* Wont be going back in a hurry

·
Registered
642 Posts
I hate using Halfords but do use them to frequently in my opinion!

things they are good for the 2-4-1 bulb offer and some of the professional tools!

there staff at "quality" though....there is a Saturday boy in the Bromley one who some times i find my self standing near just to eaves drop on what he is telling customers, he uses terms like "being in the motor trade.." and "when you have seen the things i have" also once described a Clio Williams as an F1 car for the road....comedy gold!!

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I hate the bloke that sits on the top of the store front with a pair of binoculars , Because every time I'v been there they must have seen me coming and doubled the blooming price LOL:

I dont know how the fuff they get away with charging the prices they do

·
Registered
396 Posts
I hate the bloke that sits on the top of the store front with a pair of binoculars , Because every time I'v been there they must have seen me coming and doubled the blooming price LOL:

I dont know how the fuff they get away with charging the prices they do
Halfrauds is the name I usually use for them.
How the hell they managed to secure a decent shop ( was only a shop in London ) like Ripspeed and turn it into chav heaven I don't know

Got a mate working in the bike section at Chelmsford, I may take my bike there, but nowhere else

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Needed some M10 x 40mm bolts in a hurry this afternoon and only Halfords was open. Nearly six quid for 6 bolts:eek::eek: What a rip off. Trouble is that at 3.30pm sunday afternoon, your over a barrel :* Wont be going back in a hurry
your local screwfix or toolstation are open weekends and early evening some days.
bought 100spade terminals cheaper than halfrauds half dozen .tools cheaper too,b n q also lost my business to theseI:

·
Registered
197 Posts
your local screwfix or toolstation are open weekends and early evening some days.
bought 100spade terminals cheaper than halfrauds half dozen .tools cheaper too,b n q also lost my business to theseI:

I've been using Screwfix for years, they are excellent. They are owned by B&Q.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts