VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all..does anyone have a part number for the spring that helps return the handbrake actuating lever on the rear calipers?
Thank you in advance,
Iain.

·
Registered
204 Posts
If it's not returning all the way against the stop it's unlikely to be the spring. Could be a cable issue but more likely the caliper needs removing and cleaning up.
Mine doesn't return and you can push it back with minimal effort but I know it's the caliper that needs cleaning/rebuilding as I've done it on nearly every VW I've owned

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi both and thank you for taking the time to reply..thanks T18CON, Brakes Int. looks like the place to source anything needed..Aladins78, mine is how you say, the actuating arm doesn't quite return, but takes no effort when pushing by hand..I take it that it operates some sort of worm drive that pushes against the back of the piston, if the caliper is stripped, piston out etc., is that drive accessible from behind the piston? I'm guessing a good clean up and copper eaze is the way to go? I did read a thread here somewhere about removing the arm, cleaning up and replacing, I did this at the weekend but I think the problem is more inside the drive itself rather than externaly.
Thanks again
Iain.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Hi both and thank you for taking the time to reply..thanks T18CON, Brakes Int. looks like the place to source anything needed..Aladins78, mine is how you say, the actuating arm doesn't quite return, but takes no effort when pushing by hand..I take it that it operates some sort of worm drive that pushes against the back of the piston, if the caliper is stripped, piston out etc., is that drive accessible from behind the piston? I'm guessing a good clean up and copper eaze is the way to go? I did read a thread here somewhere about removing the arm, cleaning up and replacing, I did this at the weekend but I think the problem is more inside the drive itself rather than externaly.
Thanks again
Iain.
I had issues with my rear caliper and the piston not returning enough to get new pads in, I bought a new piston and seal kit and all is grand, but at £63 for a new caliper from brakes international, is it really worth all the hassle? next time i'll just replace the whole lot

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmm, yeah I get that..problem is I'm a serial tinkerer... Hence the garage full of bikes in various states of repair/disrepair, the ongoing saga of the unfinished kitchen etc etc..ahh, will I ever learn!!!T:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts