VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Recently had a front brake caliper replaced as the old one was binding and causing vibrations/burning smell over 40mph - not a nice experience. On getting the caliper replaced, drove around 200 miles and just towards the end of the journey I get the handbrake warning light come on along with warning sound. I've checked the brake fluid levels which were close to minimum, and when I topped it up, the warning light went. However about 2 minutes of driving later the warning light was back again. I'm going to book the van in for a service asap but just wanted to know your thoughts - could something have happened while the new caliper was being fitted? And does it sound like there's a brake fluid leak?

Thanks.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Has the fluid level gone back down? Brake pedal sink when stationary and pressed?

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Has the fluid level gone back down? Brake pedal sink when stationary and pressed?

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk
Seems to be slowly going down yes, and when I check underneath I can see there is a small amount of fluid on the ground near the same wheel where the replacement caliper was fitted - maybe something they didn't sort properly? I've booked it in for a service on Friday, just wondering if I can still make small journeys until then or might it be dangerous?

Brake pedal sinks when stationary and pressed, two or three times before getting stiff.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Leaking brake fluid = do not drive it!
What you need to do is have the garage who did the caliper come and collect the van and fix it. Either they've forgotten to tighten something eg fluid pipe or bleed screw, or maybe a dud caliper seal even though it's new.
Or they were too rough with the rubber flexi pipe and have split it.
Either way it's their problem to sort it as it wasn't leaking fluid prior to them working on it.

Yes if the fluid leaks from one caliper you should still have braking to two other wheels but do you really want to chance it.

Even when you have no leak you will still get some pedal creap when holding the brake on when stationary, it's to do with how the vacuum works on diesels compared to petrol engines. But your pedal is obviously creaping down due to the fluid leaking.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Leaking brake fluid = do not drive it!
What you need to do is have the garage who did the caliper come and collect the van and fix it. Either they've forgotten to tighten something eg fluid pipe or bleed screw, or maybe a dud caliper seal even though it's new.
Or they were too rough with the rubber flexi pipe and have split it.
Either way it's their problem to sort it as it wasn't leaking fluid prior to them working on it.

Yes if the fluid leaks from one caliper you should still have braking to two other wheels but do you really want to chance it.

Even when you have no leak you will still get some pedal creap when holding the brake on when stationary, it's to do with how the vacuum works on diesels compared to petrol engines. But your pedal is obviously creaping down due to the fluid leaking.
Thanks Jon, unfortunately the garage was near heathrow (was an emergency fix) and I'm now 200 miles away to the North :(

Just checking, do you mean stationary with engine on? Hopefully it will at least get to local the garage ok on Thursday!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Yes with engine running. On petrol engines you pump the pedal and then press it hard, pedal shouldn't go down.
Diesels are different because they use a pump to make the vacuum and not just a pipe from the inlet manifold. At idle on a diesel the pedal will slowly go down. Not a problem because you're normally driving when braking.
Its usually referred to as 'diesel creep' or something like that.

Have you had the wheel off to see where the fluid is coming from?
It might just need the rubber hose tightening a bit or the bleed nipple tightening a little. Be careful with the bleed nipple as it's hollow and can snap off.

·
Registered
476 Posts
If you're not travelling far and at relatively slow speeds (30) then you should be ok to get to garage.
Just be ready to pull the handbrake up if you suddenly find that you have no brakes.

Bare in mind that any brake fluid you're losing will be splashing up onto the vehicle behind you and stripping their paint off.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
If you're not travelling far and at relatively slow speeds (30) then you should be ok to get to garage.
Just be ready to pull the handbrake up if you suddenly find that you have no brakes.

Bare in mind that any brake fluid you're losing will be splashing up onto the vehicle behind you and stripping their paint off.
And also onto your tyre and alloys if fitted......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts