VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
VW T5 T32 SWB 2011
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Have recently purchased our 1st VWT5.1 campervan.
1st thing I noticed was how hard the ride is and every stone bump and pothole is a bone shaker. Being a T32 im aware that it should be a little firmer but really need some advice on how I can change the setup. I'm also running 205/65/16s inflated to 40 on all 4.

Many thanks
Laurie

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
It may be influenced by what tyres you are running and how old are they. Tyres tend to harden with age and different brands can make a big difference to ride quality. I had Continental Vanco 17s off a T32 on my Caravelle for a short while and they were lovely.

·
Registered
VW T5 T32 SWB 2011
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It may be influenced by what tyres you are running and how old are they. Tyres tend to harden with age and different brands can make a big difference to ride quality. I had Continental Vanco 17s off a T32 on my Caravelle for a short while and they were lovely.
Yeah that is interesting....havnt had a close look thi k they are commercial van tyres with big tread pattern. I was gonna go down the route of changing shocks and springs

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
40 psi sounds low
When i had 215 65 16 on the van i ran at 58 front 62 rear as per the tyre pressure plate inside drivers door 👍

·
Registered
674 Posts
I’ve got a t32 swb and it bangs and crashes on the road.shocks, springs and tyres all good and running at the recommended pressure, I’m on 18” sportlines and lowered 40mm but am looking at alternative setup. I’m surprised your van is on 16” wheels as I thought all t32’s ran on 17”’s I’d check your load rating first it should be at 103 on the sidewall but with a t32 it either needs loading up or alternative suspension in lieu of suitable road surfaces

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I'd echo the tyres comment - commercial van tyres tend to have much stiffer sidewalls so won't be particularly forgiving.

·
Premium Member
6,386 Posts
130PS T32s have 16" wheels...

If someones fitted 8PR commercial tyres with 107/109 stamped load rating it certainly wont help. They should be 6PR 106/104 rated really. Swapping to 17" wheels with 235/55R17 103 XL tyres certainly helped me. Presently trying to fit some comfort coilovers as we speak so will report back soon...

Commercial tyres shouldn't be down at 40psi either.

·
Registered
VW T5 T32 SWB 2011
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

If someones fitted 8PR commercial tyres with 107/109 stamped load rating it certainly wont help. They should be 6PR 106/104 rated really. Swapping to 17" wheels with 235/55R17 103 XL tyres certainly helped me. Presently trying to fit some comfort coilovers as we speak so will report back soon...

Cheers Bobley, I'm actually going to look at some 17s on Saturday so will report back if I grab them and the difference it makes. I was also thinking of some new coilovers and springs so please do let me know how you get on with them.

·
Premium Member
6,386 Posts
Tempted to sell you my 17s (mint thunders, new tyres) as I'll hopefully be happy to ride about on my Sportline 18s with the plush suspension....

·
Registered
VW T5 T32 SWB 2011
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tempted to sell you my 17s (mint thunders, new tyres) as I'll hopefully be happy to ride about on my Sportline 18s with the plush suspension....
Are they black....after black alloys and going to add some black accessories on the body work

·
Registered
57 Posts

Bobley

What make of Tyres 235/55/R17 103XL are you running? As am running on 215/60/R17 Goodyear Cargo 107/109 and there are quite harsh solid sidewalls but these where brand new on the steels when I brought them, These are on my camper T32 with Eibach adjustable comfort springs with Bilstein B6 green comfort dampers, So when the time comes to replace them for more comfort tyre!!

Cheers

·
Premium Member
6,386 Posts
Originally I tried some Goodyear Vector All Season SUV tyres and they were plush. I then asked the local tyre shop to get full winters and they did.... I had them fitted and when I walked out of the office with the receipt it said... 235/55R17 99.... 5 minutes later I was back on the used Goodyears and becasue it was late autumn they couldn't get winters for sensible money so now it's on ...er... Kumho? I'll sell you them cheeeep as I really want winters

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Would these be SUV 4X4 tyres XL?
If you mean the Crossclimates, then yes - the are 4x4 XL tyres. I have some on my other car (4x4) and they are brilliant. I had Yokohamas on it before (supplied on it new) and they were noisy, slippery and fickle. The Crossclimates are the opposite and I cannot fault them in any way.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hi Lorry33,
205 seems a narrow tyre for a T32. My T30 (4Motion so heavier) came with original tyres 215/65/16 and tyre pressure sticker on inside of driver doorframe says 50psi (for this and the other standard sizes on 16s). Not a rough side, still not rough now I've gone up to 225/70 all-terrain BFGs for winter. I reckon you need a wider tyre and not reduce the sidewall less than 65. A C-rated tyre but not the cheapest commercial tyre some vans are run on.
Apart from the tyres, is there any knocking from the suspension? If so, first check is anti-roll bar bushes and droplinks - these seem to wear quickly on my T5.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts