VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I've got a dash cam I need to hard wire into the van it's meant to be hard wired in it's not usb or anything, has anyone wired one of these in? I'm sure il be alright with it but I'm just wondering if anyone knows of an easy to get to place with a live and a ign live?

T:

·
Special Rapporteur
10,165 Posts
Just did mine - ran a supply from dash centre, behind glovebox, up n/s A pillar and over to the centre above the mirror. I used a Fuse 19 feed so it stays running even with the engine off. It would have been a lot easier to run it to the bottom of the screen but it's a bit too obvious there - I want to just leave it in the van rather than having to remove and put it back all the time.

·
Special Rapporteur
10,165 Posts
I bought the "Wedge" because it's quite discrete looking and not too expensive - just over £40. This type:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/311163217439/

I didn't buy from that actual seller - I chose to pay less but to add £15 shipping, as that keeps the total below the import duty threshold.

I've also tested the power consumption while recording - it's about 30mA, so not too power-hungry if you want it on all the time.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have the DrivePro 200 and have been very pleased. I read some reviews on it beforehand and people mention the lens gets misted up and the mount that is provided is inadequate. I have found my camera gets warm and so misting disappears quickly and the mount is adequate even though I remove the camera when not in use. I turned off the g-force crash sensor as it was a little too sensitive and disabled audio recording as I would prefer conversations to remain private. If you're interested in the suction mount, PM me as I didn't end up using mine and couldn't send it back as I damaged the packaging.

The picture quality is excellent and having iPad connectivity makes the whole process very easy. I have my camera mounted dead centre and at the top of the front windscreen.

I ran the cable along the windscreen head lining, down the pillar and ending behind the glovebox. There, I plugged it in to a 12V extension cable (can buy one of these from anywhere), chopped off that plug and connected with an in-line fuse to my split charging system. The result is the camera is powered more or less whenever the engine is running.

C.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I turned off the g-force crash sensor as it was a little too sensitive and disabled audio recording as I would prefer conversations to remain private. If you're interested in the suction mount, PM me as I didn't end up using mine and couldn't send it back as I damaged the packaging.

C.
All conversations are private until you give the SD card to someone............

You might find that the audio recording saves you in an incident, ie you are parked at lights and for example the handbrake is on the audio will hear the handbrake being pulled up. Lots of other scenarios including your reaction to an incident which can be vital. If of course the audio isn't of use then you just edit the file and provide a file with no audio. I: I guess the worst case with audio on is you have a major smash up and cannot retrieve the SD card as you are in an ambulance etc and then it is in the hands of whoever spots it........

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I got radio interference from an eprance very small camera, sent it back to Amazon, got another eprance which clips over the mirror, no interference from that plus unless you know what to look for, you can't really see it, so I don't have to keep taking in and out of the van, have one in the car and one in the van.

·
Premium Member
2,585 Posts
So do these cameras record straight onto a card inserted in itself then?how long does it record for?when it's full does it just delete the whole thing and start over ?so many qs I know but am a total novice to this tech but have been thinking of getting one for a while after me dad was rammed by a liar.....

·
Registered
746 Posts
Straight to Sd card. Capacity varies depending on size of card and quality of image but reality is that when there is an incident you need the moments up to he incident and then after. In an incident I remove my Sd card and replace with a spare I keep in van. One thing I would say is if there is an incident copy all of the proceeding footage to your computer as you never know. Most overwrite he files one a time, oldest first when card is full.

Following my recent incident I had wished j had saved the previous 25 minutes prior to the incident as would have helped a little.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
if you search dash cam in ebay loads come up there's some really good ones coming out of china now, i buy loads of bits from china and there so cheap, they record to a micro sd card and just overwrite it when its full yeah, but you can buy a 32gb one for mine so it will last months i would of thought, they all do pretty much the same thing.

You can buy a larger one with night vision and a screen and all sorts but i went for a really small one with no screen, i would probably buy a larger one with a screen now as it would of made things alot easier setting it up, unless you have a dvd screen in the front then it would be fine.

·
Special Rapporteur
10,165 Posts
The Techmoan reviews do a pretty good job of describing how they work - the one I've got just cuts the coverage up into 5 minute segments and records those to SD card. When the main part of the SD card is full it simply overwrites the oldest segment file.

It also has a G-sensor so that if it senses heavy braking or a knock it puts that file into a separate folder that doesn't get overwritten.

The ones around £40 seem a good compromise, but they won't have GPS built-in for that price, so not acceptable (apparently) as evidence in court. You have to pay significantly more to get one that does - though mine can be linked to an external GPS unit if wanted.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Trouble is with one with GPS, if you do show it to the police, they can tell if you have been speeding.
It would be OK for me, I keep to the limits unless I make a mistake.
Learnt my lesson after two speeding fines, over ten years ago now, don't want any more.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts