VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im getting pretty fed up with the harsh ride in my t32, I drive a t4 800 special as well, and that thing rides like a rolls royce compared to the t5!!

I love my t5, Its getting there with the conversion etc... But i cant stand how solid the ride is.

I know they have different struts etc.. But whats the problem ?, Shocks? Springs? Both?

If i were to fit t28 springs would i be better off? Or is its the shocks thats causing it to be so jarring ?

·
Registered
82 Posts
what weight are you carrying? My T32 is loaded up to the nuts with work gear & rides fine, if it's empty or light then it will be hard.

·
Registered
103 Posts
My 2007 T32 seemed quite harsh and crashy when I got it in June. It went in for VW lowering springs (Eibach with a 30mm drop I think) and now it seems much better all-round.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh Thats interesting!, That sorta means springs are a realy heavy rate then ..

Ive got no weight in at the mo, Just the insulation, ply and carpet / flooring etc.

Next step will be electrics, units, bed etc. didnt realy want that lot smashed to bits to be fair.

That said, We moved house using it a few months back, And when loaded up with a sofa, fridge, units and all sorts of other bits and bobs, it rode "better" Not great but better...

Im gonna try springs then T:

Cheers guys T:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Mine has 2 seats in the back and will be a mountain bike and family carrier only so well over rated for my needs but with the new springs its noticeably better for me.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Empty van designed to carry a payload of between 1120 and 1340kgs will definetly bounce about and feel harsh.
my t32 180 4motion is lowered and running on18in sportlines is fine, it is fully fitted out as a camper, ride is ok.
put all extras in to go camping and it rides better.

OLD GUYS RULEI:

·
Registered
152 Posts
My 2011 T32 camper is harsh too, feels much better with 5 people and kit, but I'm still planning to fit T28 springs as I don't want to lower and 400kg less rating should improve things; reassuring to know that spring swap seems to be the cure for othersT:

·
Registered
893 Posts
Not driven one on std springs but mine on -30 eibachs is still pretty bl00dy hard.
I have lowered tyre pressures to 38psi which helps.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Which could also be said about any grade of Transporter. I bought mine expecting to be driving a van. I assumed it would be nothing like any of the cars I've driven before and I was right.

When I bought it I budgeted for a quick mod to the suspension and fortunately it's done the job for me as far as I want it to.

Having said that it's not to say that people shouldn't expect to be able to improve things by spending some time and money on it but it is all relative.

·
Registered
152 Posts
My 2011 T32 camper is harsh too, feels much better with 5 people and kit, but I'm still planning to fit T28 springs as I don't want to lower and 400kg less rating should improve things; reassuring to know that spring swap seems to be the cure for othersT:
T28 springs fitted to the rear of my T32 and it's far more comfortable - my head doesn't keep banging off the headrest anymore!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hello
I'm not sure about helping with negative or unhelpful comments it here goes. I'm not trying to be sarcastichete- so here goes.

I've got a standard 140 BHP, T32, it's about 6 month old. Its a bit hard on the ride, but I guessed it would be, as it's a van.

My dad had vans when I was a kid, so compared to his vans ( Sherpas and old trannies) this is a lot better, but it's still a van.

As I've told people, it might look cool, it might have cost a load of money, but it's a van, make no mistake about it.

If you're used to shooting over speed bumps at 30 mph, best change your driving style as you will get thrown out the seat.

I've just got used to going slowly over the bumps( like you should do anyway) and calming it down round the corners. I will have mine lowered just to make it look more pleasing to the eye, but never expect to get a car like drive out of it.

I still like it, even more so now I've had it a while-but it's a van and I think once you accept that you'll be a lot happier with it.

The only aspect I don't really like about mine is the lack of grunt for a 140 engine. I'm looking at getting a remap to increase the low down grunt. I'm not too bothered about getting a max power map but think it lacks pulling power at from 1750 rpm upwards as this equates to top gear cruising without the need to change down one, two, or even 3 gears to get it to move.

Newtovw

·
Registered
113 Posts
Oops,
Didn't mean to hit a nerve, well it's like a van then!

I really like mine, but can't help but be aware of the heritage of what in driving. A hum-mmmm--van.

Newtovw

·
Registered
449 Posts
:ILU:mines a lwb on original springs with 9 seats (shuttle) running on 19s 255/40 and is spot on all round, but I wouldn't call it a van, its more than that, its a monster mpv..

·
Registered
24 Posts
Oh Thats interesting!, That sorta means springs are a realy heavy rate then ..

Ive got no weight in at the mo, Just the insulation, ply and carpet / flooring etc.

Next step will be electrics, units, bed etc. didnt realy want that lot smashed to bits to be fair.

That said, We moved house using it a few months back, And when loaded up with a sofa, fridge, units and all sorts of other bits and bobs, it rode "better" Not great but better...

Im gonna try springs then T:

Cheers guys T:
Hi

did you end up changing the springs?
my 64 plate has standard shocks and wheels and the ride is as harsh as ever. I’ve changed driveshafts, engine mounts and had the wheel bearings and all the bushes etc all checked over a few times now. And it’s still driving like ****. Really fed up with chucking money at it.
if lowering it worked for you I might try on mine.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts