VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone got a factory Kombi van? Are they quite rare? I'm after some info and a few pictures if possible so if anyone has a factory kombi please get in touch. Cheers :)

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
All AA etc, most disabled and campers converted from new by professionals, mini buses, and caravelle and multivan are based on Kombi body.

Van body not finished in the same manner, not structurally designed to carry passengers as no doubt you know.

And it's a Kombi, not a van. :)

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think my ex AA van might have started out as a Kombi.
Don't suppose you have any pictures of the rear panels of the van (where the 3rd window would be in a caravelle)? I need some pictures from inside the van. I want to see how the inner and outer skins are held together from the factory.

All AA etc, most disabled and campers converted from new by professionals, mini buses, and caravelle and multivan are based on Kombi body.

Van body not finished in the same manner, not structurally designed to carry passengers as no doubt you know.

And it's a Kombi, not a van. :)
Yeah I'm aware of the differences structurally, this is why I'm asking the question, I would like to see some pictures of the rear panel (where the 3rd window would go in a caravelle), I would like to see the panel from inside the van to see how the inner and outer skin are held to together from the factory. Also how it differs from how it is done in a panel van.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Don't suppose you have any pictures of the rear panels of the van (where the 3rd window would be in a caravelle)? I need some pictures from inside the van. I want to see how the inner and outer skins are held together from the factory.

No, sorry, its already converted to a campervan and insulated and carpeted so can't see the bit you are referring to.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They are of course joined. I have windows so no doubt spot welded. I'm led to believe the AAs etc have super strong body panel glue ?
Yeah I guessed they would be joined. I could put rear windows in my van and spot weld as you say but I would like to keep the panels at the back.
It would be interesting to know what this super strong bonding glue they used is? I doubt very much that the kombi is welded as it would distort the panel far to much.

No, sorry, its already converted to a campervan and insulated and carpeted so can't see the bit you are referring to.
no worries mate.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Not got any pics to show you, but the "glue" holding them together has the same strength and consistency as the bonding agent used on front and rear car windows.

It's a two stage set up of a primer and bonding agent.

Just to show you how strong this is, the bugatti veyron, pagani zonda, lotus exige and gumpert apollo among plenty of other super or hyper cars are bonded together using very similar products.T:

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've been doing a bit of searching, looking at pictures of ex AA vans. As I believe these were factory kombi's with the VW2 chassis number. All of the pictures that I've found on the net look like the panels are bonded together in the same way as the panel van.
so maybe VW used the same bonding agent in the panel van as the kombi and it was just the caravelle that had the two skins spot welded together because the bonding agent would be cut away or not present when fitting the glass. :*:*

1 - 12 of 12 Posts