VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right here goes, i have been doing my t4 tdi conversion over a few months as a sideline and have hit many obstacles on my way but on Saturday I managed to get the van fired up and it was idling really smooth and sounded nice.
After reassembling the front end and popping some coolant I couldn't resist running her round the block to see how it felt to drive again.
At the bottom of my road the van suddenly started revving to 5000 rpm on its own and wouldn't turn off with the key, i had to stall in 5th to stop this and what I can only describe as a white cloud bellowed out my exhaust.
When I pushed it back home I found that the alternator belt had snapped and the inter cooler was red hot too touch, also I found oil around the manifold area that seems to be mixed with diesel.
I have since tried to turn it over and it seems lumpy so I stopped after a few seconds.

The set up is as follows

ABL - Turbo, Manifold, Oil Pick Up Pump, Power Steering Pump and Sump Pan

1Z - ECU, Immobiliser, Wiring Loom and Chip

AHU - Injection Pump, N75, MAF Sensor and Alternator

AFN - Remainder of Engine

I am wondering if I need to check or reset the static timing and replace alternator belt before I try and diagnose what happened.

Any help as to what this may be and what has caused this is greatly appreciated, thanks Dale

Also when I have done the wiring and reconnected everything I must have misplaced or missed something as now my interior lights, remote central locking (and central locking using the pin,) and electric windows no longer work and when I turn my ignition off my clock on the dash (for the time) goes off and when the ignition is turned back on it has reset to 00:00 now I imagine for the dash I must have used a switched live instead of permanent but the others I'm not sure.

Again any help is greatly appreciated on any of these matters thanks in advance Dale.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers for the reply mate, from what a guy I work with ( a land rover nut) has said that could be a possibility as he says he had an old land rover that the same happened to and some how as the bearing and seal had gone the supply of oil kept the engine going even after the key was turned off.

·
6,699 Posts
Not sure if it's blown but it is certainly getting unregulated fuel from either the crank breather, fuel pump, turbo or past the pistons.

You need to do a compression test to see if its seriously damaged and then track down the source of unregulated fuel whether it be oil or diesel or a mist from the crank case breather.

If the piston rings leak on the compression stroke, the crank case oil mist gets blown through the CCV (crank case vent) and into the intake, this feeds unregulated fuel into the combustion chamber, add a restricted or dirty air filter and you have a run away diesel.
An over full crankcase oil level can cause massive unregulated fuel into the combustion chamber leading to a run away diesel.
If the intake valve guides leak and the head oil drains are clogged with sludge, it feeds increasing amounts of unregulated fuel into the combustion chamber, which can cause or contribute to a run away.
If the piston rings leak on the intake stroke, it feeds unregulated fuel into the combustion chamber.
The larger the volume of unregulated fuel going into the combustion chamber, the greater the risk of a run away diesel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts