VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I'm a brand new newbie here. Just bought a 2001 Caravelle from a dealer. Very nice condition, drives beautifully but I was a bit sad to find out that it must be a very bog standard van. No central locking, no driver's airbag.
The cambelt was changed at 77, its now on 102, however, if you look very carefully in the service book you can see that where it says cambelt, the no box was ticked then tippexed out and the yes box ticked in a different pen. It may have been changed and a genuine mistake made but I'm a tad worried. Also, the engine number has been rubbed away off the sticker on the cambelt cover.
Call me paranoid but I'm wondering if it's had a different engine put in at some point, although there's no mention of it in the FSH.
My question is - How can I check if the engine matches the original? Is there a stamped engine number somewhere? I'm getting a VAG-com and cable for PC. Will this allow me to interrogate the ECU for the engine number?
Thanks for any help.
Andrew

·
Banned
10,255 Posts
Get in touch with Volkswagen where it came from originally and ask them if they can shed some light, if you don't know the supplying dealer contact them any how, I've generally found them very helpful when trying to trace stuff in the past. As regards the ECU I don't know but am sure someone here will have the answer to that one. Good luck...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought my 99 velle didn't have central locking, until I was checking the fuses, found a blown one and replaced it. The locks started bobbing up and downT:

Had to sort out some broken wires in the door bellows and some dodgy contacts but it all works now.

Look for fuse no. 10 on the very bottom row of fuses. 15A one.
I've only got an ordinary key, no blipper, so even if it did, I'd probably spend an arm and a leg getting the fob. However I'm definitely going to have a look tomorrow. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I know the VIN no. comes up on the screen when VAG COM is running but I can't remember if the engine no. does.
I also have a 2001 but a transporter[2.5TDI] with camper conversion. I bought it interstate & had to get it checked at the local gov. testing station. I think the engine no is stamped on the front face of the block but the inspector couldn't find it after searching & in the end used the no. on the top of the cam cover. I reckon the radiator would need to be tipped forward to find it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey thanks. Th only reason I'm suspicious is because the sticker on the cam cover is worn away. I guess that could happen in ten years!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Still can't find it. I have found a number cast into the manifold but that can't be it. I'm guessing it'll be stamped into a machined part of the block. Pleeeese can someone tell me exactly where it is.

·
Registered
617 Posts
i think i would go back to the dealer with your concerns, and a BUT you did inspect and approve it before sale ? ?. i would get the cam belt done or ask them do do you a deal on cambelt change

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In an ideal world that would be great. However, as you know, once they've got your money they seem to change their character! He was a really nice man, my new best friend, so helpful, collected me from the station etc. When I phoned him yesterday he basically said "you've bought the van, it's up to you what you do with it now. If I were you, I'd get the cambelt done"

My big worry is that I bought it specifically for it's towing ability. It's a 2.5 102 BHP and if I find the engine has been changed for either a 1.9 or an 88 BHP, I'll be pretty stuffed.

I had a county court dispute over a Merc Vito that wasn't what it appeared and it took exactly a year and cost me £300, even though I won!

All I need to do is find this damned engine number and it'll either put my mind at rest or start off another dispute. D'oh!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Excellent mate. It has an intercooler. Haven't counted the cylinders yet (at least I can do it on one hand, using the other one to hold the torch. Lucky its not a V8!) Thanks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts