VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just having a bit of a gloat really but today I did the 5th gear mod and fitted cruise control to my van.Rasp:
I would recommend both for the blue i people as I now do 70mph @ just below 2800rpm.
The acceleration is also more like a car rather than ripping your neck off. (After Wayne's remap)
The cruise control takes a bit of getting used too but once you get over the run away train feeling it's lovely to just relax and not have to keep your right foot in one position.
I would suggest that if anyone with mechanical experience could manage the 5th gear mod but you will still need balls of steel when you see the Synchro ring and it's associated parts fall all over the place when you remove them.
It takes a bit of figuring out how it all goes back together but the biggest clue is the spring wear marks on the little "F" shaped pegs.
I replaced all the gear oil with VW spec oil and now all my gear changes are much smoother than before so if you are not mechanically minded I would suggest changing your oil even if you don't want to do the 5th Mod. T:

·
Registered
694 Posts
Spent 2 hours cleaning the back of the van out after dismantling my mates rotten shed the other day and 3 trips to the tip with it. The van stunk of a mixture of rotted wood/soil and gear oil (by far the worst smell of them all). Started cleaning the cab out but run out of light so i`ve got a couple of bits to do tomorrow to make her look her best for Dubfreeze on Sunday. Yay.

:):):)

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Spent 2 hours cleaning the back of the van out after dismantling my mates rotten shed the other day and 3 trips to the tip with it. The van stunk of a mixture of rotted wood/soil and gear oil (by far the worst smell of them all). Started cleaning the cab out but run out of light so i`ve got a couple of bits to do tomorrow to make her look her best for Dubfreeze on Sunday. Yay.

:):):)
Don't they charge for using the tip in a van down your way ? We have an Asian guy at our local tip who even measures small trailers to see if they are under 1.5 metre's long. If it's longer by 1cm the jobs-worth won't let you tip. He reminds me a bit like an Asian version of Blakey out of on the buses he even has a clipboard.LOL:

·
Premium Member
5,238 Posts
I've been looking to do this for a while now. The question I have is, hasit made the jump from 4th to 5th a lot bigger. Didn't want to have to rev the nuts off it in 4th before putting it into 5th.

My box needs to come out soon to change the clutch, so would do it at the same time.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Don't they charge for using the tip in a van down your way ? We have an Asian guy at our local tip who even measures small trailers to see if they are under 1.5 metre's long. If it's longer by 1cm the jobs-worth won't let you tip. He reminds me a bit like an Asian version of Blakey out of on the buses he even has a clipboard.
Oh they sure do. We have to get permits from the council before you go down, even then i`ve had runs in with the little hitlers there about the stuff being tipped. Bleedin jobsworths the lot of em.

:mad:

·
Registered
213 Posts
washed my van...wow!! despite the fact it is so reliable and I love it so much, I neglect it by very rarely washing it...took it to the DIY/buytime sort of thing car wash and just couldn't get it clean...spent about a fiver topping it up with pound coins...eventually gave up and took it to the hand car wash round the corner and explained the situation...was given a 50p discount because I disclosed that I had "already had a go at it myself"...anyways end result nice shiny van...got it home and did a bit of waxing/polishing...then told the kids that I had a new van (they obviously weren't taken in):ILU:

·
BMW? You gotta be serious!
13,223 Posts
I stayed in my dressing gown until nearly 5pm today, did next to naff all

It was great!

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
Finished fitting a pop top on one van, fitted 2 windows in another van, Loaded up the big van with goodies to take to dubfreeze tomorrow at 5am, havn't done much really:D

·
Registered
357 Posts
insulated the back of my van then went down the sucker for 5 pints of ale i am now stuffing my face with a veggie chinese curry :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts