VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
We all love to come onto the forums etc and talk about how wonderful it is to own a “T” of some sort, but has anyone ever done it and wished they hadn’t? Or it just didn’t live up to their expectations?
We all know they are expensive to buy so did you expect too much?
We
I’m not in that position myself at all, although I must admit I do like it more now I’ve had a remap, it’s just a thought I had rattling around in my head.

·
Registered
753 Posts
As a 56 year old timer. I know exactly what you are getting at.
I have had more cars, vans and trucks than I care to remember.
All I know is my T5 has ed me off many times, mostly during Conversion and I have spent more money on it than I would ever admit to the wife.
BUT - I always have a smile on my face when driving and I always a smile when camping sat outside of an evening with beer in hand.
Cheers

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
NO, I have had a few cars that have been underwhelming but not the T4.. The T4 2.5TDI ex AA van, has exceeded expectations and is still doing so..

·
Registered
580 Posts
This week YES ! LOL:

Monday last week bus was fab no issues ,parked up as norm,the friday started bus abs and traction control lights everywhere lol

Mechanic went on test drive today with computer to see what live data was showing,while on test drive bus spluttered to a halt,now fuel pump issues :*

Bus recovered to garage now awaiting update I:

But i do still love my bus just need a few double dunter overtime shifts now LOL:

·
Registered
228 Posts
As a 56 year old timer. I know exactly what you are getting at.
I have had more cars, vans and trucks than I care to remember.
All I know is my T5 has ed me off many times, mostly during Conversion and I have spent more money on it than I would ever admit to the wife.
BUT - I always have a smile on my face when driving and I always a smile when camping sat outside of an evening with beer in hand.
Cheers
Plus 1 on all your comments, but I'm a 61 old timer, done the T2, T25 thing over the years, but the T5 is best. Only thing I hate is the packing up after a great week/weekend away! LOL:

·
Premium Member
1,892 Posts
This week YES ! LOL:

Monday last week bus was fab no issues ,parked up as norm,the friday started bus abs and traction control lights everywhere lol

Mechanic went on test drive today with computer to see what live data was showing,while on test drive bus spluttered to a halt,now fuel pump issues :*

Bus recovered to garage now awaiting update I:

But i do still love my bus just need a few double dunter overtime shifts now LOL:
Hope you get it sorted soon mate. T:

·
Registered
580 Posts
Cheers jc, phoned today mechanic busy boy, i told him no rush as i have wifes car so hopefully some news the morra T:

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
it's just a van:*

to be honest, t4's are not the most comfortable as they have horrendous front suspension! wtf is that torsion bar **** about?:*
vw had progressed from torsion bar to coil sprung with the t25 and made a step backwards when designing the t4 (ok, it was designed in the early 80's but:* )LOL:

why do I still own a t4 after 9 years? well to be honest, the bubble has burst & I've missed the stupidly high prices so it's not worth sellingA:

for what the van stands me I'll keep patching it untill it's doomed then get something else (t4 is a 'second car now so not important)

Rich.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I was given a lift in a t4 camper some years ago, a thought suddenly hit me, that if I had one I could use it to go to the isle of man for the TT & Classic TT/Manx (accomodation hard to come by for these events) I thought it could also be used to transport my motorcycles

I duly purchased a part converted T5 & set about getting it ready for it's first isle of man trip & getting it reclassified as a 'motor caravan'.

The trip was a success & I found myself using the van for other events (it was always my daily drive)

Having a means of transporting motorbikes meant that purchasing and restoring classic racing motorcycles was easier so that's what i did. Being able to transport restored machines to events & thrash the life out of them gave my retirement years a new direction (there was nothing wrong with the old direction!)

After a couple of years, I got fed up with the size limitions of a T5 and bought a Peugeot Boxer which I had converted to my own spec, based on my experience with the T5

The result was a perfect vehicle (for me) which whilst it may not have the pose value of a T5, means I can arrive with all the required toys, anywhere that takes my fancy. In my case my toys are a motorcycle (obviously), associated tools & spares, paraglider, skateboard, unicycles, etc

So far I have travelled a fair bit of the UK plus a good chunk of Europe & 2-3 trips to the isle of man every year in the 4 years I had my Boxer

So in answer to you question: for me, the T5 was a good starter vehicle that facilitated changes to my lifestyle , but was merely a stepping stone to something much better (and bigger!)

·
Registered
403 Posts
I was given a lift in a t4 camper some years ago, a thought suddenly hit me, that if I had one I could use it to go to the isle of man for the TT & Classic TT/Manx (accomodation hard to come by for these events) I thought it could also be used to transport my motorcycles

I duly purchased a part converted T5 & set about getting it ready for it's first isle of man trip & getting it reclassified as a 'motor caravan'.

The trip was a success & I found myself using the van for other events (it was always my daily drive)

Having a means of transporting motorbikes meant that purchasing and restoring classic racing motorcycles was easier so that's what i did. Being able to transport restored machines to events & thrash the life out of them gave my retirement years a new direction (there was nothing wrong with the old direction!)

After a couple of years, I got fed up with the size limitions of a T5 and bought a Peugeot Boxer which I had converted to my own spec, based on my experience with the T5

The result was a perfect vehicle (for me) which whilst it may not have the pose value of a T5, means I can arrive with all the required toys, anywhere that takes my fancy. In my case my toys are a motorcycle (obviously), associated tools & spares, paraglider, skateboard, unicycles, etc

So far I have travelled a fair bit of the UK plus a good chunk of Europe & 2-3 trips to the isle of man every year in the 4 years I had my Boxer

So in answer to you question: for me, the T5 was a good starter vehicle that facilitated changes to my lifestyle , but was merely a stepping stone to something much better (and bigger!)
Nice oneT:

I’m feeling that way with my t4 at the mo, had it coming up 5yrs my knees are failing and I’m fancying something newer caravelle ish size but not necessarily ‘VW’ van for my next one :*

I’ have no badge issues if the van fits my life style I’ll have it, I would drive a cardboard box with wheels if it suited what I needed it for :D

·
Registered
82 Posts
Interesting.

We bought a 1998 T4 2.5TDi 102BHP with 200,000miles over 3 years ago.

We did the usual sound deadening, insulation and carpeting.
Got cannon's forge 3/4 width RnR. No kitchen or storage cabinet.

Did 23,000miles so far.

The first year with it wasexciting. The "VW scene," getting all the info from this very forum for conversion ideas and some DIY repairs, lots of aftermarket stuff for conversion, and parts were widely available. From those perspectives, I was very happy with T4.

Now that we had it for over 3 years and I no longer use it often other than odd drive around and weekends / holiday away. One thing I realised. It's a VW i.e. minor parts needs replacing continuously granted it's 21 years old and with some mileage. Starting to rust on the usual places. The versatility and availability of aftermarket bits are no longer relevant to us as we've converted to how we like it and no need for further fettling.

What we want now is a solid and reliable van. What a perfect van for us would be a van made solely by one of the Japanese manufacturers such as Toyota, Honda or Nissan. But their European models are join venture with the French and "British." I don't know how much of the Japense perfection have been put into those joint ventre vans. So still, T4 is our best option as there are no better alternative that's within our budget.

Just my late night opinion.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts