VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning Everyone,

Just picked up my first T4!.... and am very happy with her .

She is a very low mileage t4 2.5tdi 88bhp lwb stock van. she has only done 75k miles!!!!

What do you think?

Am hoping to slowly convert her into a day van, starting with lowering 40mm and have the steel wheels painted black. Can you buy 16inch load rated steelies that fit the t4 without any modification? will be selling the brand new vw caravelle wheel trim that are currently on it if anyone is interested.

Cheers.

Daniel High - Devon

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
Welcome to the Forum :)..nice looking van...what year?

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
Sure someone will answer your wheel/tyre question soon....good luck with the conversion, I had great fun doing mine and though it took a while, built it to suit what I would be using it for..it's worth looking around the forum to see what others have come up withT:(they're never finished, by the way)

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Hiya.
Welcome aboard. Blank canvas T: best way to go fella. T: I take it the wheels are 15 in?? Plenty of people running 16in merc steels on their vans with the load rated tyres.
Personally, I'd hit it with a big lowereing stick, powder coat or spray the wheels you've already got for now (winters coming ) And spend your dosh on other more important stuff on the inside. Then look for some wheels next year..
First thing I did with my van was Wheels, windows, lower. I already had a set of wheels on the van!! Not pretty, but wheels.. They would of done while I spent the money i spent on them on other things. Wish I had waited now.
Enjoy.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys, great advice tetley. Need a new set of tyres any recommendations? How much should I except to pay?

You thinking I should lower it more than 40mm then? Might sorry them this weekend.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Can you buy 16inch load rated steelies that fit the t4 without any modification?
Hi Daniel, nice clean can van u have there sirT:

Lots of peeps go for 16" vito steels that pop straight on, whatever you do don't look at the banded steels thread or biggest tyres not wheels thread.......you'll only want some;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Daniel, nice clean can van u have there sirT:

Lots of peeps go for 16" vito steels that pop straight on, whatever you do don't look at the banded steels thread or biggest tyres not wheels thread.......you'll only want some;)
Neily, thanks for the advice I will overt my eyes from them lol,

any one got a spare set of steel wheels? original 15"s? So I can paint them and still use then van.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Lowering wise, Eibachs will drop it 40mm other brands will drop it 60mm. Personal choice really. When you decide to lower, make sure you wire brush the threads on the torsion bars and cake them with wd40 a day or two before.It will make it so much easier to lower the front.
Ask in general van chat to see if a member can loan you an old set of steels while you refurb yours.
Good luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Welcome to the forum Highscapes,

And what a find that van is ! A: T:

How much did you pay for her if you don't mind me asking ?

TURK
She was a mighty £5k. But wanted to buy the best base for my day van that I could.

Originally I was going spend around £3.5k and spend the rest on the van but buying a van with 170k miles on it scared me a bit and when I found this one I could resist!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Welcome to the forum Highscapes,

And what a find that van is ! A: T:

How much did you pay for her if you don't mind me asking ?

TURK
She was a mighty £5k. But wanted to buy the best base for my day van that I could.

Originally I was going spend around £3.5k and spend the rest on the van but buying a van with 170k miles on it scared me a bit and when I found this one I couldn't resist!

·
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
4,714 Posts

Originally I was going spend around £3.5k and spend the rest on the van but buying a van with 170k miles on it scared me a bit and when I found this one I could resist!

Money well spent and certainly not over the top for a low mileage late model. Good decision, that's exactly what I did but mine had 48,000 on the clock.
I think you'd always get your money back on that if you choose to sell in a couple of years.

What you wouldn't get back would be the upgrades you would do. You could feasibly spend thousands on the interior, it would help as a selling point, but I don't think it would be an investment of sorts, in order to bump the price up.

Then again, you could be like me and hope to keep your van for ever, and never part with it ! :D

So have fun reading the build threads, there's some fantastic ideas there.

Be sure to post photos and a build thread, as we like that sort of thing T:

TURK

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Turk thanks for the advice, am so excited about what she will become I don't know where to start! lol.

Will post pics and probly ask loads of questions once I do start work on her though so be prepared lol.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts