VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yo dudes,

Does anybody know if you can change the head gasket with the engine still in? If so, how hard is it?

Currently have the van stripped down this far.

What else needs to be taken out for access?

Also anything to be aware of when changing the timing belts? Can it be done without ing up the timing?

Thanks groovy folks

·
Registered
rusty heap ('95 t4)
2,741 Posts
I'd remove the bumper & headlight support panel, much easier accessT:

I'm also slightly worried with your comment re.

Also anything to be aware of when changing the timing belts? Can it be done without ing up the timing?
you will be setting the timing (static, crank-cam-injection pump) on re-assembly, then once its running & up to temperature use vagcom/vcds etc. to adjust the pump timing:cool:
you can get timing 'close-enough'* on marks & pins BUT thats not 100% correct and why do half a job:*

in comparison to the timing, cylinderhead removal & re-fitting is the easy bit LOL: (also, the down-pipe connection is one of vw's WORST ideas ever:* )

still, take photo's of where pipes / wires etc. live & it's an easy jobA:

Rich.

*I've never found the pump's timing marks any good on the 2.4 & 2.5 engines, I'd advise on caution thereI:
use a dti in the pump if you can get hold of one;) (sorry but I don't know what tooling you have access to:confused:)

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cheers Rich,

I was hoping I could just clamp the pulleys in place with a locking tool and then retension the new belts to it?

Also, its having pp1 injectors in, so I know it'll need a remap, so wondered how that might affect timing :*

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Frankly pay to have it done, it looks a bit complex compared to a simple head gasket and timing service job on a typical engine, and if youre not experienced theres too much to go wrong, from what youve written so far it seems youre lacking experience for the task.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fair point, I’m far more comfortable with air cooled engines! Was never my intention to get this involved but the job has grown, bit of mission creep. Feeling 50/50

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Fair point, I’m far more comfortable with air cooled engines! Was never my intention to get this involved but the job has grown, bit of mission creep. Feeling 50/50
Get stuck in you feel good when it's done re the timing if you get to that stage and feel nervous then don't as most garages won't do it anyway,plenty of help on here T:

·
Registered
365 Posts
Put the engine on its zero mark before removing any of the belts etc. It'll take a bit of pfaffing about to find the mark but if you take the rocker cover off and look when the valves on number one cyl (opposite end to the gearbox) are both closed and the valve lobes on the inlet and exhaust at the same angle you should be very close. Just bear in mind the cam could be 180 degrees out so you may need to turn the engine until you come back to the cam in the same position and try again. When you find the zero mark on the flywheel and line it up with the pointer in the bell housing you can put the locking plate into the pump so when all is put back together the pump will be close enough to run. Hope this makes sense........if not ask.......as some of the rest of the lads have said plenty of lads on here who can do it in there sleep!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Put the engine on its zero mark before removing any of the belts etc. It'll take a bit of pfaffing about to find the mark but if you take the rocker cover off and look when the valves on number one cyl (opposite end to the gearbox) are both closed and the valve lobes on the inlet and exhaust at the same angle you should be very close. Just bear in mind the cam could be 180 degrees out so you may need to turn the engine until you come back to the cam in the same position and try again. When you find the zero mark on the flywheel and line it up with the pointer in the bell housing you can put the locking plate into the pump so when all is put back together the pump will be close enough to run. Hope this makes sense........if not ask.......as some of the rest of the lads have said plenty of lads on here who can do it in their sleep!
Btw I love your registration!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts