VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

I have a 2006 T5 shuttle which has had a bit of modification over the previous owners.
It’s loosing coolant at an alarming rate. MOT end of March garage mentioned coolant was low and they had topped up.
2 months later and I got coolant level warning light. Checked and it was under min line. Topped it up and three days later got the warning light again and level dropped back to where it was before.
From checking around the engine bay I can’t see an obvious leak which makes me a bit concerned is going to be head related.
The coolant isn’t murky/oily so still have some hope.
Going to be pressure tested on Thursday to diagnose and at least on a ramp under pressure may still find a leak thats cheaper to repair.
Question is what should I be expecting in terms of cost if it’s dreaded head gasket? I’m also in Kent, so if anyone has recommendations on best places to take it to be done at reasonable cost would be good. Garage doing the pressure test have said if it’s head gasket they don’t want to do it.
Any advice would be gratefully received.

·
Special Rapporteur
10,152 Posts
When was the water pump last changed? They tend to go slowly, but when they really let go they will drop water into the sump at an alarming rate, so I would want to check that first. You won't see it on the dipstick, as it drops to the bottom of the sump, under the oil.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When was the water pump last changed? They tend to go slowly, but when they really let go they will drop water into the sump at an alarming rate, so I would want to check that first. You won't see it on the dipstick, as it drops to the bottom of the sump, under the oil.
Hi

yeah I did think possibly water pump. Still not cheap but certainly better than a head gasket. I know it’s an issue as my friends 2005 caravelle had a water pump change. Thanks for the reply.

·
Special Rapporteur
10,152 Posts
If it's done any sort of mileage and is still on the original pump, I'd say there's a very high probability. Our pump started to go around 80k miles, and it turned from weepage to a flood after a couple of k's. It's now turned 100k and the water in oil seems (touch wood) to have not cause any engine damage.

I'd recommend you drop a small amount of oil out of the sump. If you get coolant instead, you'll know. Head gasket failure on the 5-cylinder engine is not very common.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If it's done any sort of mileage and is still on the original pump, I'd say there's a very high probability. Our pump started to go around 80k miles, and it turned from weepage to a flood after a couple of k's. It's now turned 100k and the water in oil seems (touch wood) to have not cause any engine damage.

I'd recommend you drop a small amount of oil out of the sump. If you get coolant instead, you'll know. Head gasket failure on the 5-cylinder engine is not very common.
looking in its service history it may be the original and it’s on 110k so sounds like a good possibility. Thanks for the advice. I’ll have a look at the oil pit the sump then.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Which engine is it and is there any water in the oil?
Hi I had the same problem with my 2002 t4 loosing coolant. Mine is the 5 cylinder 2.5 lt TDI.
Turned out to be a cracked hose at rear of engine hard to get at. Mechanic changed two hoses bled the system and bingo alls well. Mines done over half a million klm's doesn't use any oil. My name is David Leeman from 3 Brinckley Crescent, Koondoola, West Australia. Bridgestone select in malaga a couple of kilometres from my home did the job the mechanic's name is Trevor if you want to talk to him On 61(08) 92499744. Hope this was helpful.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts