VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On starting engine it has trouble starting, and a big cloud of white smelly smoke, and idles poor for 5 seconds or so.
Replaced glow plugs and fuel filter but same.
Only have this trouble when engine is cold.
Dip stick oil seems ok, but slight build up of gunk inside filler cap, but more of like a grey silicone as opposed to "milky".
Engine temp runs fine, and no loss of coolant. Although the coolant tank has what looks like condensation on the top of the tank.
There is an oil leak which seems to be coming from filler cap? But seems to be more of a oil mist as everything has a coating of oil.

Head gasket possibly?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do quite a lot of short journeys... So I was hoping may be its condensation from the rocker cover?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Does look like condensation. Simple answer is as has been said sniff test or I would take it for a good run 30 mile + and then check

·
Registered
53 Posts
Might be worth getting your fault codes checked too, mine doesn't start well in the cold either and it's due to a faulty temp sensor.

Unfortunately saying that I had a blown head gasket a few months back, I wasn't losing any water or oil, there was no oil/water mixing. The only sign I had was pressure in the water system when cold

Cheers!

Steve

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for replies. Getting codes read on Tuesday along with sniff test :) fingers crossed will update you on tuesday

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi jamsam my 1.9 2005 axb engine has always emulsified in the oil cap on short journeys like yours and I have had van for 10 years as long as it is not overheating or using water and the expansion tank is nice and clean with a nice clear water and importantly antifreeze in the system take it for a nice long drive will clean it out but will soon come back on short journeys always worse in damp cold weather hope this helps

1 - 10 of 10 Posts