VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just been told that the head gasket on our 1997 (P) 1.9TD T4 needs to be replaced and will cost about £550. My questions are

a) Does the following sound like a head gasket problem. The symptoms are that the van is using about 1ltr of water on a good run, but this seems to be due to high pressure build up in the expansion tank causing the water to blow out of the back. The oil is not becoming milky (as i have experienced on a petrol car) nor is it rising or falling in level. The oil pressure light has started coming on when the engine is warm and idling, but not when driving.
b) Is this a reasonable price for this, bearing in mind this will include getting the head skimmed ?

Any suggestions / comments please

·
Registered
115 Posts
Just been told that the head gasket on our 1997 (P) 1.9TD T4 needs to be replaced and will cost about £550. My questions are

a) Does the following sound like a head gasket problem. The symptoms are that the van is using about 1ltr of water on a good run, but this seems to be due to high pressure build up in the expansion tank causing the water to blow out of the back. The oil is not becoming milky (as i have experienced on a petrol car) nor is it rising or falling in level. The oil pressure light has started coming on when the engine is warm and idling, but not when driving.
b) Is this a reasonable price for this, bearing in mind this will include getting the head skimmed ?

Any suggestions / comments please
I have (in the process of establishing the actual cause) the exact problem with mine. Recently changed the Thermostat, which so far.. (fingers crossed) sorted the problem out. My mechanic said to try that before looking at the head gasket, id say do it as it only costs £8 for a thermostat, and is super easy to replace. Just be patient with the refilling of coolant! Luch

·
sc vw customs 1.9tdi convert
17,028 Posts
couple of things i would be trying before a head gasket..although if a test has been done then,thats that

new thermostat
new water pump,can be leaking,but slightly,so water is evaporating before you notice it (coolant loss)
new oil pressure switch (if its coming on)
new exspansion bottle cap,could be the cause of pressurizing the the sysytem

if all else fails,then try some steel seal gasket sealant,best on the market,costs 30 quid,but got to be worth a try...

was having all the same probs mate as yours on my own van..aint looking at at doing any engine work at the mo,if it goes at some point,then i will deal with it then..

changed all the above parts...then added the steel seal..

done prob 4000 miles now,no overheating,no pressure,can remove cap 20mins after stopping now (still came out of cap,as if i had just stopped after 2 days of leaving..)
all bubbles in coolant bottle now gone..

would not the be the ideal cure for some on here...but the lot cost me £100 quid,i fitted it all my self...Job done..

good luck..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts