VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I decided to test the voltage getting to my bulbs when the lights are on and engine running.The test surprised me as many mention that they get below 12v.I had a look around and there is no additional upgrade loom fitted.I tested both headlamp bulbs with the same results.I was getting 13.85 Volts when on.(Engine running) So its happy days for me to not go spending on an upgrade loom and just the bulbs to purchase.Which leads me to another question.What are better Night breakers or Phillips Extreme?

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Last night I decided to test the voltage getting to my bulbs when the lights are on and engine running.The test surprised me as many mention that they get below 12v.I had a look around and there is no additional upgrade loom fitted.I tested both headlamp bulbs with the same results.I was getting 13.85 Volts when on.(Engine running) So its happy days for me to not go spending on an upgrade loom and just the bulbs to purchase.Which leads me to another question.What are better Night breakers or Phillips Extreme?
g60 .................................. happy days I get 13.9 at mine too!

I have tried just about every upgrade H4 bulb as they have evolved, right now the Philips +130% are the best; fitted in mine A:A:A:A:A:A:

·
Full of Cr*p....
9,144 Posts
Having used both, they are about the same light output.
BUT, the Osrams only lasted about 6 months, whereas the Philips have been in for over a year.

My headlights are on as soon as the ignition is on though.

·
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
4,689 Posts
I noticed that my 'new' Multivan' headlights were exceptionally good when I bought it a few months ago, and I'm pretty sure it's down to VW using thicker gauge wiring on the headlight system. I've not had the time to investigate yet, but it does look like 2mm² so 25amp wiring, as opposed to the earlier models being 1mm² ( 16.5 amp ) so there's less chance of voltage drop.

All the tests I read 'Philips X-treme Vision +130%' came out ontop, so that's what I'll be using also. But there is a little talked about other version by Philips ....... pretty sure it's called 'Philips WhiteVision' they're rated at 60% brighter than standard halogen bulbs, but last four times longer.

TURK

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I noticed that my 'new' Multivan' headlights were exceptionally good when I bought it a few months ago, and I'm pretty sure it's down to VW using thicker gauge wiring on the headlight system. I've not had the time to investigate yet, but it does look like 2mm² so 25amp wiring, as opposed to the earlier models being 1mm² ( 16.5 amp ) so there's less chance of voltage drop.

You could be right as I also have a MV as does scruffytoo

·
Full of Cr*p....
9,144 Posts
We had the Osrams in the wifes ForTwo.
Good output, but again only lasted 6-7 months.

As the job of changing the bulbs on that car involves removing the whole front end, I fitted Osram "Long Life".
Nowhere near as bright, but as she only uses it to travel 30 miles/day, on the same road which she could almost drive blind on, they were the best choice.
2 years and still going.

In Norway, I can't seem to find any where to buy the Philips, but Osram are common.
That was why, last time in UK, I bought 3 sets of the Philips ones for my van. T:

It's obvious I'm going to "eat" bulbs faster in Norway.....due to headlights being on all the time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts