VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the topic of Android head units and indeed their fitment has been discussed at length but I can't find an answer to one specific question that I'd like answering before I buy one.

I have a 2008 T5 with the smaller aperture in the dash. I don't fancy going down the dash upgrade route for funding reasons, nor hacking away at the present dash console to fit the Touareg version as much as I prefer the looks of the 5.1 and Touareg stereos.

I've found THIS which I'm told by the vendor will be a perfect OEM style fit. What I'd really like to see is a photo proving it before I part with my hard earned cash!

My current head unit, a Sony XAV 601BT will not mirror my phone, Samsung S7 and has no GPS BUT the main reason I'd like to change it is because it sticks out from the dash almost 10 mm which just looks in my opinion.

If any of you guys can help I'd be very appreciative.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I Have the AutoPumpkin, which looks very much the same.

It *will* stick out of the dash about 10mm, unless you cut out the plastic upright that it rests on when you slide the stereo in. Obviously this is the same for your existing stereo too.

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,169 Posts
Not sure if you will find any aftermarket units that don't protrude on a T5 unless you start making mods to the actual dash itself?

This is the Pioneer Head Unit on a 2008 T5 ...

Can't say that it has ever bothered me in the least (and I do get annoyed about stuff that doesn't look right!)

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Frankly a pre 2010 T5 is pointless for using a canbus adapter loom, just go for one that uses a double iso adapter or quadlock depending on age of van, but if using quadlock you need to add a switched live feed from say fuse 19 for example.

Canbus is a basic 2 wire network in the vehicle upon which most of the data is exchaned between all the electronics, but theres almost nothing of use to the stereo on the network in a T5 pre 2010.

Also when disposing of an oem stereo you need an antenna booster.

The android units i linked do everything, nav, gps etc you dont need to faff on mirroring phone etc, just use phone to supply live data via hotspot, or set up nav with offline maps when using wifi from say home.

The units run pure android so you have google play market so literally any nav app you want, but frankly you cant beat sygic for features or price.

Have a look on the sites i linked theres plenty of units to choose from and more standard 7 inch style screen double din units.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I've found THIS which I'm told by the vendor will be a perfect OEM style fit. What I'd really like to see is a photo proving it before I part with my hard earned cash!
I wouldn't trust what the vendor says too much - that listing says it will fit a T4 too (afaik the only T4s that have a double din opening are LHD and then only a very few).

I am curious about the opening in early T5s, as I have a 2005 one and am about to buy a new head unit.

Is the early T5 hole undesized then?

Pete

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Oversized.

Oem fitment was often 2 single din parts and a support shelf inbetween that can be removed, but it makes the opening taller, see this kit :

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/261075789688?_mwBanner=1
Thank you! Much appreciated. I know nothing about T5 as I have only had it for 2 days. I only found out it didn't have a radio in it when I went to turn it on on the way home LOL:

I used to have a T4 and the T5 is very different....

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I Have the AutoPumpkin, which looks very much the same.

It *will* stick out of the dash about 10mm, unless you cut out the plastic upright that it rests on when you slide the stereo in. Obviously this is the same for your existing stereo too.
I've looked at the Pumpkin units. They look good. How do you find it? Looks like I might have to do some modding then.

Not sure if you will find any aftermarket units that don't protrude on a T5 unless you start making mods to the actual dash itself?

Can't say that it has ever bothered me in the least (and I do get annoyed about stuff that doesn't look right!)
Yours does not protrude as much as mine, it irks me evry time I get in!

Frankly a pre 2010 T5 is pointless for using a canbus adapter loom, just go for one that uses a double iso adapter or quadlock depending on age of van, but if using quadlock you need to add a switched live feed from say fuse 19 for example.

Canbus is a basic 2 wire network in the vehicle upon which most of the data is exchaned between all the electronics, but theres almost nothing of use to the stereo on the network in a T5 pre 2010.

Also when disposing of an oem stereo you need an antenna booster.

The android units i linked do everything, nav, gps etc you dont need to faff on mirroring phone etc, just use phone to supply live data via hotspot, or set up nav with offline maps when using wifi from say home.

The units run pure android so you have google play market so literally any nav app you want, but frankly you cant beat sygic for features or price.

Have a look on the sites i linked theres plenty of units to choose from and more standard 7 inch style screen double din units.
Sorry that reply was supposed to be on a different thread.
Hahaha, I thought it was slightly off topic. Useful info nonetheless!

I wouldn't trust what the vendor says too much - that listing says it will fit a T4 too (afaik the only T4s that have a double din opening are LHD and then only a very few).

I am curious about the opening in early T5s, as I have a 2005 one and am about to buy a new head unit.

Is the early T5 hole undesized then?

Pete
That's why I'm asking mate. As far as I can see VW made them slightly different to the standard, which is a bit cheeky of them if you ask me. Now I'm going to have to hack away some dash and spend more than I wanted to!

Oversized.

Oem fitment was often 2 single din parts and a support shelf inbetween that can be removed, but it makes the opening taller, see this kit :

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/261075789688?_mwBanner=1
So does that kit fit the OEM whole and reduce to a standard double DIN size?

Flippin' Germans, they came up with double DIN didn't they?

Thank you! Much appreciated. I know nothing about T5 as I have only had it for 2 days. I only found out it didn't have a radio in it when I went to turn it on on the way home LOL:

I used to have a T4 and the T5 is very different....
You'll love it mate.

Cheers for the replies. It's looking more likely that I'll be doing some hacking and up dating the dash centre console then.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gone for the dash upgrade and a RNS 510 style unit. Cheers for the advice fellas. I post some pics when it's fitted.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
The inner structure of the dash is different, you cant convert without considerable cutting. Plus the vents are different, and have different mounting points.

It can be done but its quite expensive. I did it then converted back so i could use the 10.1 screen android units which are standard double din.

Wouldnt have bothered converting if theyd existed sooner.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The inner structure of the dash is different, you cant convert without considerable cutting. Plus the vents are different, and have different mounting points.

It can be done but its quite expensive. I did it then converted back so i could use the 10.1 screen android units which are standard double din.

Wouldnt have bothered converting if theyd existed sooner.
Unfortunately the company I decided to order from won't deliver to BFPO so it's back to the drawing board! You got a link to the 10.1 you're on about mindriot?

Hopefully I can still cancel the order for the other dash bits.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts