VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have dual reflector headlamp units on my 5.1 (2013) camper but only the DRL uses the inner reflectors? This seems a little bizarre to me.... Why would they wrap all that around a bulb for it just to be DRL? The outer reflectors have H4 bulbs. Osram Nightbreakers were fitted last weekend thinking that might improve things by a few candlepower. Alas no, in fact a couple of candles might work better! I have to raise the leveller, when dipped, so far up to see anything ahead that when I go to beam I fear it starts to interfere with airplanes!! So if you see some [email protected] on the M11 blinding everyone, I apologise now cos it's probably me!

The issue really is that the headlamps are really very poor to say the least...I've read on here about upgrade kits & looms etc, I'm also sure there must be driving lights that can be fitted too

My question is this: What are my genuine options to improve things? Please list em all and ideally give me a rough guide to costs

Thanks for your help
CoBull

·
Special Rapporteur
9,766 Posts
Osram Nightbreakers were fitted last weekend thinking that might improve things by a few candlepower. Alas no, in fact a couple of candles might work better!
That's very odd. I've got a 2013 van which I fitted Nightbreakers to from new, and I know it made a significant difference, as I changed one bulb to start with and compared them, side-by-side in the dark. With Nightbreakers installed they are Ok on my van - not fantastic by modern standards, but certainly no worse than those on the Transit that I had previously.

You could go for the upgraded loom that some suppliers sell, but I'm told that the 5.1 facelift improved the factory wiring, and that you should not need it. I came to the conclusion that it was an expensive (for what it is) upgrade that I could probably do without...

Although it seems possible that you could install additional lights in the DRL reflectors, I doubt that would help at all - I think that reflector is designed so that the DRLs can be seen at a wide angle around the front of the vehicle, and not primarily to project light forward onto the road. You would probably also find bits of it melting, as it's designed to take only a 21W bulb.

If you're feeling flush, I guess you could consider fitting Caravelle lights, which IIRC have twin headlamps, though I ~think~ the improvement would only be seen on main beams.

[As a further point - and please don't take this as a joke or insult of any form - it is not intended that way: Have you had your eyes tested recently? I ask because there as some medical conditions - such as macular degeneration - which start by affecting vision only very slightly, and it is often night vision that gets affected first.]

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No offence taken, it's a valid point. My eyes are fine, and I'm comparing my 10 yr old renault scenic headlamps to my new camper. The difference is immense!
Nightbreakers have helped and main beam is fine but I still think the dipped lights are poor, not so much the brightness but more perhaps the lack of focus?

Anyone have any recommendations for after market driving lamps please?

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
One thing never mentioned (at least I don't think so) is that the bulbs need to be fitted corretly - they need to be located in their holders exactly as they should be & the retaining clips holding them tight & no movement whatsoever.

After I changed my standard T5 headlamps to Caravellalike Depo's I went to the MOT place I use to have them set up - the guy could not get a decent beam pattern - it turned out to be the retaining clips allowing the bulbs to move slightly. The clips were, TBH a bit weak so a made a couple up from some piano wire, refitted them & a good beam pattern was obtained.

Food for thought ? because this may just be an issue which is easily cured.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, another good point. I'll check again, but I think loose fitting bulbs would also affect main beam too?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts