VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im having a bit of a problem with my headlights, i have an upgrade wire loom which was working perfectly up until recently, but now on low beam they are not getting enough voltage (i presume) its like driving with candles. but then on the high beam they are fine not sure whats gone wrong tried hooking it all up again checked fuses all seem fine. Any help is greatly appreciated T:

Cheers
James

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i cant remember who it was but it is very similar to the one upspex sells. Its on a fitted on a 1998 1.9td if that has any bearing

Cheers

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
Sounds like you are getting dim dip only on low beam which means that you have no power to the bulbs or the bulbs have gone.
It will be easier to trace the problem if you disconnect the dim dip resistor. This is above the O/S headlight on earlier vans and in front of the battery on later vans. Once you have disconnected this you should find that you have no lights at all on dip.

·
Registered
8,736 Posts
Check all connections from the battery to the fuse to the relay to the lamps, remove the relay (if it has a plug in base) and check the pins for corrosion.

Are you sure the fuse hasn't blown (and maybe a lamp)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers guys will have look at everything again today it was dark when i looked yesterday, i did take off the upgrade loom and just wired it back up as standard which gave me more light than i was getting with the loom

cheers

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i had a wee look swapped the relays over and the dip beam was fine but the high beam wasn't so will need a new relay.

Cheers for the help T:
James

1 - 7 of 7 Posts