VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my front headlights on my t4 are pretty weak. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm not a big fan of led lights. I just like a standard light.

Also, is there anyway to install a timer? Just in case the car sits for more than five minutes with the lights on. Thank you

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Your only option really is the upgraded headlight loom, there still not great with the loom but a lot better then standard, not sure about the timer :*

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,083 Posts
Your only option really is the upgraded headlight loom, there still not great with the loom but a lot better then standard, not sure about the timer :*
Upgraded Bulbs can also be very effective.
Before buying a loom, worthwhile checking the voltage at the bulb to see if there is a significant drop. If there is not, an upgraded loom will make no noticable difference. Not all T4s have that problem (my 2001 shortnose did not)

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Upgraded Bulbs can also be very effective.
Before buying a loom, worthwhile checking the voltage at the bulb to see if there is a significant drop. If there is not, an upgraded loom will make no noticable difference. Not all T4s have that problem (my 2001 shortnose did not)
+1T:

also wort checking the headlight earth wiring, common for this to go high-resistance & show up as dim ligting.
easily cured as a singlr 'local' earth wire from each bulbholder to the bodyworkA:

cheaper than an 'upgrade' loom aswell;)

Rich.

·
8,083 Posts
+1T:

also wort checking the headlight earth wiring, common for this to go high-resistance & show up as dim ligting.
easily cured as a singlr 'local' earth wire from each bulbholder to the bodywork A:

cheaper than an 'upgrade' loom aswell;)

Rich.
Good Point on the earth going AWOL a bit :)
I had that on my LT a couple of months ago. Stopped one headlight working properly on Main Beam randomly. Checking connections seemed to resolve so probably touch of corrosion on connectors cleaned off by unplugging and refitting, but if it happens again I will route the earth to the headlight direct from the chassis T:

·
8,083 Posts
Any recommendations on upgrade bulbs?
you will have H4 Bulbs fitted. I usually replace standard H4 ones with the Philips Extreme ones. The Latest version of them I think are these - Philips 12342XV+S2 H4 X-Treme Vision +130%, Headlight Car Bulbs, Twin-Pack, White - £17.50 a pair.
Osram do very good uprated bulbs as well, but for some reason their H4 ones are very pricey

·
Premium Member
2,432 Posts
Any recommendations on upgrade bulbs?
Dont waste tour money on magic bulbs yet. Measure the voltage at the bulbs and you should get the voltage of your battery.
Just a 1/2 volt drop might decrease your lights by 50%..
Yes. 1 volt is the difference between life and death.
A fully charged battery is 12,7V. A discharged battery is 11,7V.
Wire up with a loom with relays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts