VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Show us your headlinings guys, i need some inspiration...

A single pic or link to pic and description of materials used (cloth/vinyl/glue etc)

Seen some really interesting ones on here, leather, vinyl and wood etc

I am thinking of going urban camo - i know it has been done before but will go with rest of van!

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Urban camo, eh??

The man has taste..... I:

The front is just boggo material layed onto the original substrate, the back is scrim foam onto the orignal hardboard pieces, and then boggo material layed on top.......

:)

·
Registered
376 Posts
i`ve got a huge orange and yellow lizard throw that i`m thinking of puting on my roof!!
i`ll try it and tr to get some pic`s on to see what you guys think??
Lee

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Urban camo, eh??

The man has taste..... I:

The front is just boggo material layed onto the original substrate, the back is scrim foam onto the orignal hardboard pieces, and then boggo material layed on top.......

:)
Haha... i had seen yours after i saw the material on eBay and I have to say it is because yours looks so cool that I want to go for it.

What is the foam you used over the existing headlining boards? Scrim foam from where? I live on the Isle of Wight and we only have a B&Q and a couple of Travis Perkins - no homebase or wickes...

Is it available from B&Q or Screwfix... or maybe wickes deliver... hmmm

camo seat covers - can give you a link to a site if you have email address? pm me?

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
OK - seat covers are/were available from O'Shea via many 'surf' shops - pricey and (to be honest) unbearably warm in this weather - but they are 'waterproof' (and they matched the roof).I:

Scrim foam is available in many thicknesses and it's basically a thin foam used to cover a hard substrate to give it that slightly padded feel. I used 1/4 inch in this case.

Megavanmats do it, but mine is from Martrim - cheap as chips and makes for a far nicer finish......

Forget B&Q and the like - ALWAYS get glue and the like from a proper trimming suppliers.

The material is just some cheap stuff of E Bay - use aerosol glue for the best results...... :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just to throw a spanner in the works, I've just done this to Mrs Fruity's van.....

.....mainly went with Gingham as the van is shortly to become very orange and we needed something that would go with any colour. Also the £25 we had burning a hole in the paypal account bought enough to do the roof, make 2 sets of seat covers and probably leave enough to cover the bed cushions as well, though they might need scotch guarding if the kids keep climbing over them :*

The material is fairly thin so the cards were primed with pva and the material pva'd on, apart from the front one which got two coats of homebases cheapest white emulsion (to make the foam go hard) and then I used spray contact adhesive for the area around the recesses for the sun visors as they're a bit of a [email protected]@er.

In the past I've found that spray adhesive (even the HT stuff) can desicate over time. PVa seems fairly bullet proof as long as the material isn't too thick or water repelent.

Hope that helps T:

P.S. - did this 3 months ago (doesn't time fly) - no reports of car sickness or the kids going short sighted yet I:

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
I haven't started insulating or lining my van just yet, have you guys insulated the roof and floor of your vans?

·
Registered
1,753 Posts

insulated the roof then put this on the roof board with spray glue also put red vinyl on the plastic strips that hold it up :ILU:got a sunroof to fit in the front so i can get rid of the gray up front :ILU:

·
Registered
632 Posts
You all a bunch of ****s coz im after some yellow cammo for my van now. Wish I never opened this thread.
I:
:ILU:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
love the work guys - how cool is the red n white ornate filigrees type pattern! Have a couple of swirls like that either end of one of my tattoos!

·
Registered
2,064 Posts

A van I did a while back, I sell that fabric myself. It went straight onto the original panels with the spray adhesive I use. It's nice and controlable as it was important not to over do it and soak through the material. Just gave it a little key first IIRC.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sweet - as another note on the yellow camo, think easiest way to get some if you cant find it - buy some artic camo (mainly white n grey) and yellow die!

·
Registered
632 Posts
sweet - as another note on the yellow camo, think easiest way to get some if you cant find it - buy some artic camo (mainly white n grey) and yellow die!
:D
Cheer now you put that ****ing idea in my head lol may as well get the center of the seats done too...:ILU:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
:D
Cheer now you put that ****ing idea in my head lol may as well get the center of the seats done too...:ILU:
good good - sometimes i dont see the answer to my own problems but can help others with ideas... dye is so cheap though - worth trying on n offcut or sample, never know a supplier might send out a small 6inch square sample or something?! Just brainstorming...

·
Registered
632 Posts
lol too late im ording enought to do seats/headlining. if it doesnt dye its going on white.

Cheers you **** ;-)

:ILU:LOL:LOL::ILU:

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I'm covering mine in dark grey suede (well, fake suede!) as I want a nice upholstery kinda finish.

Got a 10m roll so will be trimming on front door panels to match.

·
Registered
232 Posts
i saw a bunch of lads wearing Yellow camo i shouted at them to find out where they got it from.They must have got scared and ran off..I set off after them but they ran into a sweetcorn field..Couldnt see them anywhere!!...SorryI:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts