VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As per previous posts, I have problems with my driver mirror not heating. So today I have tried to sort the problem and made myself more confused.

1. Stripped driver mirror. Removed glass and attached multimeter to check there was a circuit on the glass and the cables going to the element, there was.

2. Put multimeter on when engine running and flicked the heated switch on, got a reading somewhere around 13.7-14v.

3. Stripped passenger mirror that works and put in driver side connecting the brown and white where they had come off from. This mirror no longer heated on driver side.

4. Took driver mirror and connected to passenger side, connecting brown and white where they had originally come off from and it works in this side.

5. Put mirrors back on relative sides and passenger one still works driver doesn't.

I am now totally stumped. The only thing I can think it is would be the connectors in the driver side however when putting them in a multimeter you get the voltage reading??? I initially thought it my be the driver side module in the window motor but when you turn the heated mirror on a current comes through so surely can't be that.. Any idea??

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh and point 6......

When the switch is on and the multimeter gives a good 'v' reading, when you put the connectors on the mirror itself and then put the multimeter on, there is no voltage reading. So between testing without being connected and connecting, something is killing the current?

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Sounds like you've got a bad/poor connection somewhere in the driver's side heating wiring.
Connecting a multi-meter to the relevant points may give you the impression that all is OK because a multi-meter only requires very little current to register. However, when you connect a large load, in this case the heating element of the mirror, the bad/poor connection prevents enough current from reaching the element.
Disconnect all the connections in the door & check for green mildew on connections & also check for any chaffing of wires on any parts of the vehicle body, inside the door, etc.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I checked the block connector that plugs into the door this week, that was fine and had the wd40 treatment. Think I will re do the spade connectors that plug onto the mirror and take it from there

·
Super Moderator
9,247 Posts
I managed to turn mine off using vagcom....so it maybe a matter of recoding :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts