VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The heated mirrors on my 2012 T5.1 Kombi are not working. We have checked the loom in the door shut and beneath the driver’s seat for breaks which is apparently a common issue. Electric windows and power folding mirrors work as they should.
Has anyone had any simIlar issues and if so what was the issue. I have been advised to check the convenience control module? but not sure where it is located.
Any ideas also would be much appreciated.

·
Special Rapporteur
8,969 Posts
Unfortunately the design of the mirror switch is such that many owners don't realise that the mirror heaters are on - so they get left on full-time and the heating elements eventually burn out. It may be something else, but one possibility is that both have failed.

There is no Central Convenience module on a facelift - all of the functions are incorporated into J519 post-facelift.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. The heated mirrors were not working when I purchased the van nearly three years ago with just over 40K miles. Disappointing if both elements had failed at this point ☹ Is there an easy way to check the elements are working?

·
140 DSG Shuttle SE full Camper
2,332 Posts
Have you checked them with the heated rear window on, I set mine to only work if the heated rear window is on which times out so they can't stay on for ever.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will give it a go tomorrow. Do you have to set and link the heated rear window timer with VCDS?

·
2,332 Posts
I will give it a go tomorrow. Do you have to set and link the heated rear window timer with VCDS?
'
Yep, don't ask me how off hand though, it was only a box tick as I recall, something like 'heated mirrors with heated rear window', possibly!

·
Special Rapporteur
8,969 Posts
Have you checked them with the heated rear window on, I set mine to only work if the heated rear window is on which times out so they can't stay on for ever.
Does that stop them working from the switch? I didn't know that! I just assumed that either they would come on from the door switch, OR they would come on when the HRW was on.

·
2,332 Posts
As I recall you still have to turn them on with the switch but the HRW needs to be on as well for them to work until it times out then it all goes off.

·
Special Rapporteur
8,969 Posts
Thanks - I'll have to look at enabling that. I hardly ever use either heated mirrors or HRW, but it's easy to forget the mirrors (as they don't have a timer).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts