VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I'm just starting my conversion and I've got a double passenger seat which I will be putting a swivel base on. I want to install a leisure battery and heater but I know I can't fit both in the drivers seat and can't put the battery in the passenger seat because of the swivel.

I intend to mount the heater under the van but even with just the vent pipe going into the driver base I'm sure it won't fit with a battery in there.

The dilemma is where do I put the battery and where do I route the vent for the heating? Has anyone else faced the same problem?

I'm thinking perhaps leisure battery under the bonnet but can't see any commercial solutions for this.

Thanks

Andy

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
Cant you just find some space in the conversion to house the battery.
We usually put ours behind or under the bed frame.
I have a feeling that someone has mounted a battery and eberspacher under the drivers seat, but personally I think it would be too tight a squeeze.....certainly with a drivers swivel.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I have a Websasto fitted under the van. The heating duct comes into the van just behind the drivers seat so does not impact at all on the space under the drivers seat. The ducting runs along the back of the seat towards the passenger side just until it clears the units on the drivers side (where the fridge sits in most common layouts).

My build is a bit different but there's a couple of photos in my album that might give you an idea.

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/album.php?albumid=17717

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's great thanks for the replies I wanted a solution that didn't involve moving the leisure battery from the drivers seat as that's where I would prefer it to be.

I can see where you have routed the ducting so that's the way I will go, thanks for taking the time to upload the images the van looks pretty similar to mine and I hope it turns out as good.

How much was your heater and from where?

Were good instructions supplied with it?

I think I will also go for a webasto.

Andy

·
Registered
878 Posts
I got the heater fitted. I think it was £850 all in. Andi at T4Transformations did it. I was having the roof done there last winter and with the rubbish weather and nowhere to work inside myself I figured I'd get a couple of external jobs done by them so I could crack on with all the inside stuff. Plenty on here have done it and it seems straight forward enough.

M&CS on here (trade member) seems to be a resident Webasto expert and has given loads of advice. I'd recommend looking through his posts. He's also covered where you can buy a cheaper Webasto heater but you end up spending more with buying the fittings not supplied. Just worth checking before you buy.

I'm sure you'll get plenty of top tips from the forum. Good luck with your build.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the info :)

Just got my right side windows from Kiravans so once fitted ill get the leisure battery and split charge/hookup fitted then the heater will go in.

I'm doing bits every month so with the heater fitted at least I can use it during the colder months even though its just an empty van!

Andy

·
Somebody stop me!
11,905 Posts
My electrics are all under my driver seat so no chance of getting the heater outlet in as well. I have a Webasto under the van and the heat pipe vents up through the floor just behind the seat. You can see it in the pic.
Excellent, I love it when a search works out. Probably an old thread but don't really care, I have questions. Did you lag the heat pipe and does the vent and ducting not foul the handbrake cable. TIA

1 - 11 of 11 Posts